made a start

no avatar
poguemahone

made a start

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:30 am

one of my brothers txt me a few weeks ago, as he had rats in his barn and stables, but i couldnt make a start as the calves were still in, and he has a very nervous, and massive shire horse. he phoned yesterday to say that the calves were out permanently now, but the horses were still brought in at night for another couple of weeks, and could i make a start on the rats :D
when i went up for a look around a few weeks ago, there was activity during the day, so i decided to give it a couple of hours last evening until he brought the horses in at 8pm.
they have a 14 year old cat that lives in the barn, and my sister in law assured me that the best place to shoot rats would be the cats feeding bowl :shock:
i put 4 backstop boards down, with a pile of breadcrumbs in front, and decided to put a board behind the cats bowl, just in case.
after about half an hour, movement caught my eye in the gloomy barn, in front of one of the backstop boards (i paint em with a bit of white emulsion so the rats show up nicely when they're feeding). it wasnt a rat though, it was ''blossom'' the cat eating the breadcrumbs :x then movement against the board to my right caught my eye, and it was a huge rat, feeding in ''blossoms'' bowl :lol:
roland raised his head very slightly, just as i took the shot :x he tried to run but only his front and back left legs were working. he managed to run round in a 2ft circle a couple of times before keeling over. i gave him a follow up shot, although i dont think it was really needed, but better safe than sorry.
its a tell tale sign with rats and rabbits if the shot is a few mm low, that they try to run, but have no sense of direction, and go round in a circle for a few seconds. its still a fatal shot, as a wounding shot will result in the rat or rabbit running WITH a sense of direction back to their holes.
typically, i shoot one of the biggest rats i've ever shot, and forgot the camera :oops:

Raj

Re: made a start

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Get in there, Steve :D
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
poguemahone

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Raj wrote:Get in there, Steve :D

my brothers land is up the top of mow cop Raj, it was bloody freezing up there yesterday :lol:
noticed a few magpies about, so i'll book em in for a session ;)

Geordie

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Fancy forgetting the bloody camera :lol: If you say it was one of the biggest ever, I would have loved a piccy.

Never mind though, sounds like your gonna get some decent sport Steve. Look forward to the write ups mate 8-)
AA s410K .177
BSA R10 .177 Super carbine. (Blacky)

Blackbaronfish

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Its always a good idea to have a mobile on you .....just in case you leave the camera at home :mrgreen:

Nice read

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
dave h

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:04 am

Ain't it always the way that just the biggest one is the one that is not recorded!
And I can sympathise with them moving just as you take the shot - had that last time myself.

no avatar
granville

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:53 pm

at least you got something steve .
well done .