Help with Parallax Please?

no avatar
avfc1982

Help with Parallax Please?

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:42 am

Hi ive just returned to FT after 24 years! Ive acquired a lovely MPR FT and i am very happy with it and it will be forever more accurate than me so no problems there. My problem is that i have also acquired a Nikko Stirling Target Master 10-50x60 IR MD, im using a 100mm side wheel with it.

Ive set up the scope with a 38yrd zero as suggested by Chairgun and aim points (dialing in) with the turret tape that it produced for me is surprisingly very accurate. However when i come to mark the side wheel with range points at 50 Mag i have been delighted with how sharp it bangs the ranges consistently in out to 45 yards. Unfortunately thats where my problems and questions begin :-(

I realise the scope is at the budget end for FT but i want to be sure im getting the very best i can out of it, my problem is that when i went from 45yd to 50yd i found that the posistion on the side wheel consistently read the same distance so therefore i cant range find above 45 yards. My questions are:

1, would it help if i acquired and used a 150mm side wheel?
2, The scope seems to range find to below 8 yrds on 50mag no problem, this leads me to think that the scope could be reparralaxed to give a wider range at 45-50 yards? Is this possible? I apreciate that the compromise may be that the minimum full mag range finding ability could increase to say 10yds but i could live with that.
3, if this is the problem could i reparralax the scope myself? is it easy?
4, I did do my side wheel range markings in doors so probably not the best (or the worst) of light, could this make a differnce?
5, Also i used the small text on a paint pot to obtain ultimate clarity instead of a field target, could this be a factor in the problem.

I guess the answer could be to bin the scope and start again with something more expensive but im keen to avoid that for now and want to get the very best out of the targetmaster that i can, i have heard others say that the optics can get milky at 50+ yards but im really not finding this an issue.

Im really sorry for so many questions and would apreciate any help or advice.

Hope to see you soon on the FT circuit.

Darron Hillier
AA FTP900 Jon Harris Mod
March 8-80 tactical FT ret

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Help with Parallax Please?

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:14 pm

100mm is not a large enough diameter to range find at the longer ranges. i have the diamond sportsman (big nikko) i use a 150mm dia wheel. the difference between 50yards and 55yards is approx 6mm. at 100mm the gap will be so small to tell the difference between 50 and 52 yards would be very hard. i think the scope you have, nikko do a much larger wheel, off hand i think its 150-180mm. try highland outdoors who supply nikko stirling.
Gary.

no avatar
avfc1982

Re: Help with Parallax Please?

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks Gary i think i will try the 150mm wheel before i give up on the scope.
AA FTP900 Jon Harris Mod
March 8-80 tactical FT ret