Should my top hat come off?

no avatar
Veloman

Should my top hat come off?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Hello again, it's been some years since I was last on this forum. In fact it's been about 7 years, long enough for me to need to re register, doesn't time fly when you're having fun? Its also about 7 years since I stripped and relubed my .177 TX200 mk2 so thought I should give it a clean up. Two reasons for doing this. I would like the TX to be as quiet as possible in consideration for my neighbours and although I am happy with the guns accuracy I have noticed that sometimes but not always, the first shot after not using the gun for a while was off by a fair amount but subsequent ones were fine. I though a clean and relube might help achieve some improvement.

I have removed the spring which seems to be quite straight when rolled on a flat surface and is, I think an Air Arms one as it has "dead" coils at the front end. These dead coils are firmly gripping the steel top hat and I mean firm! I have tried but can't remove this top hat to the point where trying harder would run the risk of damaging it. Is it meant to come out? Looking at spares diagrams it would seem to be that it should. If it should, would leaving it as it is have a detrimental effect on the guns working and noise level?
This top hat also seems to be quite thin compared to some spares diagrams with only 3mm beyond the spring end. Sitting on top of this is a 9.5mm thick "washer" which presumably just sits at the bottom of tube waiting for the top hat to hit it when the gun is fired. I am wondering if these parts are standard or if it has been modified by some previous owner.

So, any ideas how I can remove the top hat without damage should it be preferable to do so Or should I just leave it be?
Is the 3mm top hat and 9.5mm washer the standard set up for a .177 Mk2? Thanks in advance for any advice.

no avatar
cooper_dan

Re: Should my top hat come off?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:00 pm

The top hat actually screws into the dead coils on the spring. You need to unscrew it which can be very stiff if it has never come off before. I think it's lefty loosey but looking at the spring will tell you for sure.

It sounds like you have the 0.22 calibre top hat which is smaller and less weight than the factory 0.177 version. However the 0.22 top hat is fine for both calibres, its what I use in my 0.177 HFT gun.
Parts diagrams show that there can be a thick washer as standard. But the top hat/spring will never hit it because the spring load keeps everything touching. I'm not certain but its likely to be a spacer to get power up if the gun was underpowered when first built. My mk2 never had this spacer

Hope that helps

no avatar
Veloman

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks for the reply cooper_dan. I didn't realise the top hat was screwed on so I'll give it a try again tomorrow but not sure now if I need to as if it's screwed on it must be meant to be a tight fit. I had been half wondering about trying a Tinbum top hat and spring guide with a view to quietening things down in which case I would need to remove the original.
You are quite right of course that the spring load keeps everything touching , hadn't got my brain in gear over that bit!
I think I'll just clean everything up, polish the top hat end and spacer and see if that makes any difference before I start thinking about drop in kits etc..

no avatar
FPoole

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:36 am

Absolutely Air Arms stock parts as far as the top hat and weight are concerned. You will never unscrew the top hat without damaging it. They are very tight and, when you try to turn it, the spring just grabs harder. Sort of like those Chinese finger trap toys. You have to grip the top hat with vise grip pliers( think ya'll call them mole grips) and turn it in the direction that would seem to tighten it. When enough force is applied, the top hat will jump the threads and suddenly be a full turn upward. It can then be unscrewed the correct direction with ease. No need to do this though. If you keep the spring, just keep it the way the factory had it. I think you can pick up new springs from Julian, who posts on this site. Think he's at the very top of this page.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 am

[quote=. I think you can pick up new springs from Julian, who posts on this site. Think he's at the very top of this page.[/quote]

Julian owns this site and also has a company call Bond Gun Accessories/airarmsspares.com :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started