Prosport won't cock

no avatar
rlancast

Prosport won't cock

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:48 am

Hi All,
Is there a special technique when re assembling a Prosport. Do you cock the trigger before refitting the trigger unit then pull the trigger when it is back in the action? or just refit it un cocked. When I have the problem with the gun not cocking, the spring stays compressed and I then cannot release the anti bear trap so I have to wrap the whole action in a thick towel and undo the bolt to remove the trigger block whilst pressing the end of the gun down on a cushion (not recommended).

This has really got me stumped.

Thanks

Roger

Timmytree

Re: Prosport won't cock

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 am

The trigger should be fitted uncocked. If you look under the cocking linkage there is a small pin protruding, that is the anti beartrap release. Get someone to depress it with a knife blade and you can decock the action safely.
Have you made any adjustments to the trigger lately?
Just one last thought, did you cock it far enough to reset the safety? Some rifles need an extra tug at the end of the cocking stroke.

no avatar
rlancast

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Tks Timmy,
Haven't touched the trigger at all. Put it back together again today and all appears fine so will use your advice next time. What does the anti bear trap contact with to keep the spring compressed, I could only see it possibly touching the comp tube?
Have you ever used a non AA spring that is a improvement over the original?

Cheers

Roger

Timmytree

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

The ABT just locks the piston in place whilst cocking, the act of closing the lever compresses the ABT pin to remove the locking lever.
I've tried numerous springs over the years but nothing was any better than the standard spring. It's worth investing in a well fitted guide and tophat though, I'm currently using a kit from Tinbum, it works well.

no avatar
rlancast

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Cheers mate ☺