pellet weights-opinions please

no avatar
stecorr

pellet weights-opinions please

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Alright chaps, opinions required.

Now I'm breaking in my gun rather nicely, I've found that it likes heavier pellets like the aa diabolo fields and (spit) gamo ts22's which come in at a whopping 1.6g's. both are achieving 5p size groups at 25m but the recoil, especially on the 22 grain gamos is tremendous and muzzle crack is far more than on, say superdomes. This makes me question the longevity of the inner workings if I continue to use them. Immediately you can feel the difference both in fit in the breech and the subsequent recoil between the aa's and rws's and I do get the odd flyer with the rws's.

Even 12m targets are much tighter using the heavies but I'm erring on the side of caution here as dont wish to cause premature maintenance to my rifle for the sake of the difference between a penny and a 5p.

What are your thoughts/opinions, am I just being paranoid or will I be looking at new inner working in teh next year or so.

Thanks

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: pellet weights-opinions please

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:39 am

what rifle are you using? Spring or PCP? 12ftlb or FAC?
I dont see any pellet causing internal problems anyway.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 am

As it's a Prosport I would ease of the heavier pellets until the seals have bedded in. With the tight heavy pellets it sounds like the piston is coming to the end of its stroke as the pellet is exiting the barrel.
You should put a tin of normal AA field 16g down it and then see.
Give the barrel a good clean before you do. Don't be tempted to try any others until the full tin has gone,as other pellets will have a different hardness of lead that could foul ;)

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
stecorr

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 am

Sound advice. Thanks

Timmytree

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 am

Heavier pellets can often make felt recoil or shot cycle feel worse, ultra light pellets may do the same but if you think about the physics of a springer it makes sense that different weight and fit pellets have a different resistance to movement up the barrel. Heavy pellets may make the piston bounce on the cushion of air in the cylinder. Lighter pellets may move off quicker and allow the piston to slam into the end of the cylinder. There is a small range of adjustments you can make by altering top hat weight and/or preload, if you really want to alter things you can play with TP diameter. Personally I would stick with pellets in the mid range or below, AADF or Express seem to be about right in my Prosport, the Express give a sweeter shot cycle but the AADF are the most consistent.

no avatar
stecorr

Thu May 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Cheers timmy. batch bought the aadf in 5.52 to stick a couple of thousand through and will take it from there.