tx 200 original stock finish

no avatar
bodger

tx 200 original stock finish

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 pm

just received a stock as mentioned in other thread in very good overall condition for age just a few bits back to bare wood ide like to patch if i can, has anyone found a suitable stain/varnish that works for patching minor dings,anyone know if its a sprayed on colured varnish or stained then sealed originally ?

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: tx 200 original stock finish

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 pm

If there are dings/dents which aren't too bad you will be able too remove them with a damp cloth and a warm iron.
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
bodger

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:31 pm

thanks,no its more chips in the finish i was hoping to touch up. was hoping someone may be able to point me to a product/method to match the original finish but i guess most people just refinish completly.was hoping to use the stock for my mk1 but didnt realise at first tho its a mk1 stock its had a cutout for the beartrap done as it was used for a mk2 action,

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:28 pm

You can get felt tip furniture touch up pens that may match. You can also buy student oil paints in burnt umber, raw umber, yellow ocre etc that you can mix to match the main body colour then oil up when dry. Oil paints can be built up to a thickness over time.
You can even mix stock or danish oil with the paint to tint it. It will take many light applications over many days. Do the hot iron thing first.

You cant seem to get decent Polystrippa since EU banned the best solvents but a complete strip and refinish with oil may be just as quick and look better in the end.