mk1 detent/barrel weight

no avatar
bodger

mk1 detent/barrel weight

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:07 am

just re registered as havent been on since the old site,got a wreck of a mk1 tx (actually recently tried selling but no takers as so rough) and have decided to have a go at sprucing it up,nothing to lose as its so bad. gonna have a go at reblue does the barrel weight come off these ?i had a go at heating it up but didnt want to force it,same with the detent fixing in the cocking arm does it come out?ifso any pointers?

no avatar
FPoole

Re: mk1 detent/barrel weight

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 am

The barrel weight thingy unscrews. It will take a bit more heat or a stronger twist, but it will come off. The detent holder on the bottom also comes off. As for the detent ball in the cocking arm, I've read that these unscrew as well with some heat. When you put the barrel and the weight back together, make sure to dry fit it and make sure the detent is locking up the way you like it. I've had several off the barrel and none were totally seated against the stop where the threads run out. You just have to find the sweet spot between too much and too little pressure on the ball. The way I look at it is to keep the weight and ball detent holder straight down and rotate the barrel slightly to open or close the gap. Once I'm happy I use some tape to make the orientation and then reassemble the parts with some type of loctite.

no avatar
bodger

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am

thanks fpoole,i seem to remember you answering my dumb questions when i was on previously so thanks again.got the barrel weight off okay just using a heatgun.

the detent wouldnt budge so had to get the torch on it, lots of promising smoke had me thinking the loctite had given way but still wouldnt move so decided to
leave that on (ide seen someone in my searching saying they'd left it on when bluing but wanted to get it off if i could).

started cleaning up parts, a fair amount of rust pitting on them, got the underleaver and barrel weight to as good as they were going to get and moved onto the barrel as i was handling it something didnt feel right so offered it up to a straight edge,sure enough buggers bent as the proverbial 9 bob note :shock: (how do you even bend the barrel on a fixed setup short of literally driving fence post's in with it) i guess my only consellation is that it didnt sell,i would have felt like a complete s*it finding out after the event.

ive heard of people straightening barrels on old break barrels but i cant really see how it could be done to a good enough std for a tx. due to the state of the rest of the gun (stock previously restained badly at least once and forend allready rubbed thin on one side)and the fact that mk1 barrels are unobtainium i think this may be the end of the road for this old gun :cry: <---- that there is youre actual emoticon with some emotion behind it people,and not just cos of the financial loss :lol:

got to have a think about what im going to do with it but it may have to end up getting broken up

no avatar
Nick G

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Why not re barrel it, or get it straightened profesionaly, don't have a go yourself as you can mess it up beyond redemption , used to work ion a toolroom and one of the blokes on the external grinding was mustard at straightening things after heat treatment , ( you need centres a dti and a press )

no avatar
bodger

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 pm

iv'e emailed lothar today they offer a straightening service see how that goes,i will take on most things myself but i know from past experience trying to straighten anything once its deformed is nigh on impossible without the correct tools,i know you can theoreticaly suspend it on two wedges and hammer it back into shape but i dont believe anyone could do that with any real accuracy.

im leaning towards re barreling it but its not really financially sensible. stripped the stock today and realised thats got a fairly major crack in it too so dont know yet,having said that ive just started re-bluing too it so i guess im kinda commiting to refurbing it

no avatar
FPoole

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:07 am

If the bore looks good i would think it could be straightened. Used to be common practice to take the action and barrel and whack them on a piece of wood, right at the barrel receiver join to adjust the point on impact. Sort of like a sword chop and not all that hard would move a barrel that had droop. The problem was that the hole in the receiver was being deformed and the barrel loosened. I bought a MarkII that had this "special" treatment. It always shot low and, when I removed the barrel, the hole in the receiver was oblong a tiny bit. I cut a piece of a steel feeler gauge that was .002" thick and wedged a small piece under the barrel and it took up the play. It actually was very tight so I got it all glued up and back together and found it was almost dead in the middle of my scopes travel. Great and lucky result. Our shade tree tuners can really mess up a good gun.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:27 am

We had an Original model 75 sidelever ten metre gun that suddenly shot low, way beyond the sight adjustment. Massive 20mm barrel and shroud was obviously bent at the point it entered the action and could only have been done by one of the juniors dropping it. We have no idea how it happened in the 2 yards between the store and the range but we put it on the floor between two wood blocks and two of us jumped on it. It shoots straight now!

no avatar
bodger

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:52 pm

got an email back off walther price was 60-70 euro plus shipping which considering the size of the organisation isnt too bad but they were honest enough to say they couldnt guarentee getting it straight,unfortunatly its not a simple bend its more of a bow shape possibly in two planes which is why i dont really think its likely to be straightened succesfully by anyone other than walther or someone else of similar capabilities/price.

ive actually got a 14mm walther barrel left over from another project which although not ideal(original is 15mm)is an option but would have to find someone to turn down the end for me as my little taig can barely handle a pistol barrel let alone a full length tx ,are there any machinist on here btw?

then theres the option of buying a new barrel from julian if he still does them but i know from a previous conversation he can only supply mk3 types.

ill chuck an ad in the wanted section for a mk1 .177 barrel (might as well take the opportunity to convert as half the reason i was selling was because it was .22) but i know i might as well post a wanted ad for a pound of rocking horse **** sprinkled with fairy dust :lol:

on the upside the rebluing went quite well so may do a little post about that.

no avatar
Dag

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Fellow member of another forum but not this one*is trying to contact you as he has the parts you are after.
I don't seem able to send you a PM but you could go on there if you are a member * It's AGF
hth
Dag

no avatar
bodger

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:39 pm

im not on agf sent you a pm