Newbie TX200HC fettling

Re: Newbie TX200HC fettling

Postby FPoole » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:03 am

A friend let me have a go with his Pro Target (AA pcp) and I must have fired 100 shots or more. After I was done, I picked up my very smooth shooting TX and it was awful. The gun hadn't changed, but my feel for it had. Took me a few days to get over the pcp feel. The best spring dampener will be a snug fitting rear guide and the top hat also plays a part. The Tinbum stuff should quieten down things. Too late to offer polishing advice, but I always chuck the piston rod up in a drill and spin the piston against some 600 or finer wet and dry. I just try to take the very sharp edge off the dovetail and the edge at the base where the seal sits. I also smooth out the edges of the grooves that the plastic bearings sit in. More than any other reason, this keeps me from getting cut and the seal will pop over the dovetail without cutting the seal or me.
FPoole

Re: Newbie TX200HC fettling

Postby Pete236 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Cheers!
I will have another wee polish when the Tinbum bits arrive. I've also ordered a new pair of piston rings so will see what fldifference those make.

I had half hour and 40 odd shots today.
Most importantly, we're running just about on 11lbs, dropping a tad below, so that's a huge relief!
I cleaned the barrel pretty ruthlessly so it will take a while to lead in, it will take a long time to get used to the recoil too.
I could do with trying a very well tuned one to compare, and I will dig out my Remington Express to compare a cheap nasty one.
Pete236

Previous

Return to Spring guns and tuning