no avatar
KeithS

coloured stock ..

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:34 pm

I've been meaning to work on my TX 200 stock for quite a while,
to get work done by a professional it will cost an arm and a leg so
have decided to do it my self.
Has anyone on here had a spray can out to rejuvenate the wood work

Renovate/rejuvenate/give a lift/freshen up/to make it a one off, all the same thing :D :D
Last edited by KeithS on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
NOTSHARP

Re: coloured stock ..

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:41 pm

KeithS wrote:I've been meaning to work on my TX 200 stock for quite a while,
to get work done by a professional it will cost an arm and a leg so
have decided to do it my self.
Has anyone on here had a spray can out to renovate the wood work

:) Love it.

Steve.

no avatar
johnbaz

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi Keith

I've refinished a few stocks by various methods, I've used rattle can spray lacquer a few times, I've also used BLO and Tung based oil, Not done much recently due to arthritic hands :cry:

The bottom one of these (Webley mk3) was a stock I bought for £20, It was black with muck and age, Couldn't believe the grain that came out when I started rubbing it down!! I used Boiled Linseed Oil as it's walnut rather than beech..

Did these two Airwolf stocks for a gent, In return he gave me a BSA Superstar mk1 with a 4-12x56 Superscope and an immaculate boxed BSA Scorpion pistol!! :o

This HW95 I redfinished with the rattle cans!! I mixed the stain up from various bits that were left in cans, It's an 'orrible colour but looks better than it was before!!

This was a tired old BSA Cadet Major stock that had been damaged in front of the trigger guard, It hadn't been shaped correctly and wasn't made to fit right, He asked me to have a go at it, I used the spray lacquer to finish it..

The repair really needed taking out and a new piece cutting to fit better but he said to not bother..

And finished, He was happy enough with it..

John :P

no avatar
KeithS

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:58 am

The BSA stock looks stunning my TX has a tired beech wood stock can that look work on beech wood.

no avatar
johnbaz

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:46 pm

KeithS wrote:The BSA stock looks stunning my TX has a tired beech wood stock can that look work on beech wood.

Hi Keith, The Cadet Major is Beech, Usually walnut is olied and beech is lacquered but beech will take oil too but lacquer is faster as oil can take up to ten coats at one coat every twenty four hours, The lacquer from a rattle can will only need to be applied twice and thew second coat can go on as soon as the last coat is touch dry (Around fifteen minutes!

It will take a week or two to fully harden though!!

By the way, The HW95 is a beech stock too that I lacquered, I mixed the colours with what I had to stain it first, I don't like the outcome though :(

John :)

no avatar
nitro

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:34 pm

wow........... that webley Mk 3 stock looks amazing...
ONE SHOT .... ONE KILL