TX detent, or, why the PS has an edge

no avatar
FPoole

TX detent, or, why the PS has an edge

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:08 am

The detent on the TX is major factor in consistent accuracy, or lack of same. The PS, having no detent, has one less worry. I still feel the TX is more robust, but that detent can be really aggravating at times. I have a MarkI that's brand new, to me, and it has been acting up. Vertical stringing out at 55 yards by as much as 2". I kept thinking the muzzle or the barrel itself was coming loose, but I took a real close look at the detent ball when the cocking arm was actually touching the little rubber buffer. The older guns have no button, but a small post of rubber in the same place. This gun had the post just a fraction too far out and wasn't letting the ball center in the detent hole. I trimmed the post off, letting the ball center itself, and suddenly the gun shoots 1" low at 25m. Not a problem because, at 55 yards, it has lost the vertical stringing. All shots are pretty much a horizontal line(windy) across the target. I shouldn't be amazed by such tiny things making a huge difference, but I am. All I need now is a snug tophat to cut out the last bit of boing. The little buzz doesn't affect the accuracy so much, but it annoys me. I make a habit of keeping the detent ball and hole a little oily so it centers with ease.

no avatar
Nick G

Re: TX detent, or, why the PS has an edge

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:39 am

I set my transfer port length , so the comp tube is against it ( breech seals compressed) when the latch rod detent is home , this ensures consistency.