Stripped thread in Pro Sport bottom rail.

no avatar
Browser

Stripped thread in Pro Sport bottom rail.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi all, refitting the stock to my Pro Sport after fitting the Rowan adjustable butt plate, and the rear left(looking down from on top of the rifle) thread in the bottom rail has stripped almost all of the way out. I've peeved because after checking it looks like there's barely enough length on the screw to pull fully home in the thread. Furthermore, one or both of the front screws is bottoming out against the cocking lever stop before the countersunk head tightens against the corresponding hole in the stock. Has anyone else had to replace the bottom rail and, if so, how much was it? The alternative it going to be buying an M5 Helicoil kit for about £25, getting some longer screws for the rear hole so this doesn't happen again and drilling reliefs into the cocking lever stop to stop the screws bottoming out. Lastly, one of the front screw holes/tappings is drilled on the slant i.e. not at right angles to the bottom rail, so I'm a tad peeved at the way Air Arms have put this together!
If anyone has had anything similar happen I'd be happy to hear from you.

no avatar
Nick G

Re: Stripped thread in Pro Sport bottom rail.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:23 pm

You can get around helicoiling dy making up a threaded insert and thread locking it in

no avatar
Browser

Re: Stripped thread in Pro Sport bottom rail.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Managed to get this sorted, I bought some longer stainless screws from a supplier in Peterborough to replace the two rearmost ones and fitted them, dunno whether it was the extra length or better-quality screws (?) but they tightened OK. The two at the front I bought two stainless screws the same length as the original ones and filed 2mm off the ends and they now fit flush with the inner face of the rail when tightened to don't bottom out against the underlever stop. Need to have a play with the adjustable stock and get some pellets through it to get used to the best hold etc :)