New Pro Sport Sometimes it will fire and sometimes it won't

no avatar
Dddrees

New Pro Sport Sometimes it will fire and sometimes it won't

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:32 pm

So I received my new Pro Sport the other day and I was able to finally get some firing in between the rain. My main objectives where to get more familiar with the gun, how to properly operate it, and attempt to zero the scope.

In the middle of firing the weapon I cocked the weapon, loaded a pellet, and then discovered the lever would not fully reseat. I discovered the safety was not actually engaged and the weapon would not fire. I attempted to re-cock the weapon and it didn't appear that was possible either. Not wanting to do anything unsafe or that might damage the weapon I gave up on trying to remove the pellet and decided to place the weapon in a safe position and search the Internet. I was able to find a thread that recommended re-cocking the gun and it stated that it was actually the very last portion of the cocking of the weapon that sets the safety and enables the weapon to fire.

After giving it a firm effort found that the safety was set and I was able to fire the weapon to my great relief. I decided to continue and also try to monitor whether this might happen again and it did with the exception that on all future missteps the lever could be stored correctly but at times the safety would not set and the weapon could not be fired until I cocked it again. On the second cock it would always be easier until the end when I would pull it a bit further and this set the safety and allowed me to fire the weapon. Later in the session it didn't occur again and I think it might be because I focused a bit more when cocking to make sure I completely followed thru or at least that's how it appeared to me.

Otherwise I was pretty happy with my second session. The first session I tried standing unsupported and sitting unsupported and I hit the target only once and backstop only two additional times.the second session I used a two towels on top of my deck rail and I was able to start the journey of zeroing in my scope. I was also able to get more familiar with loading and how to load the weapon. The first session I discovered I wasn't fully seating the pellets when loading. It's my first pellet gun and I didn't realize until after the first session how to load them based on something I had seen on the Internet. Anyway I was able to get consistent at about 10 yards with just a bit low and left of the circle. Initially I was firing at the bottom left of the paper so I did make a good deal of progress. I think I must have fired anywhere from 40 to 60 pellets.

Anyway I figured it might be better and with bad weather returning soon anyway to re-visit this again tomorrow to make sure I could be consistent with the progress I made so far and try to dial it in further and try to hit center mass.

All in all a very good session and thoroughly enjoyable with the exception of that one little scare. Air Arms manual is a bit sparse to say the least. Here's hoping the mechanical issues were more to do with something I just need to learn to do better and more consistently.

no avatar
gary martin

Re: New Pro Sport Sometimes it will fire and sometimes it wo

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:16 am

This can happen. As you have discovered, you had not fully cocked the rifle, simple as that. You heard the piston latchrod engage and thought it was fully cocked, it just required that little more.

no avatar
Dddrees

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:16 pm

gary martin wrote:This can happen. As you have discovered, you had not fully cocked the rifle, simple as that. You heard the piston latchrod engage and thought it was fully cocked, it just required that little more.

Thanks, but I was a bit surprised and somewhat concerned when it initially occurred. It certainly had me freaking out a bit before I found out what was going on. I think it would help if the user manual or their website had a bit more detail than what it currently does.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:46 pm

user manual
"OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
To cock the rifle hold securely in one hand and with the other pull the cocking lever downwards until the
trigger mechanism engages and the safety catch button pops out. The button has an indication groove, coloured
RED, to show when it is correctly engaged."

no avatar
Dddrees

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:54 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:user manual
"OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
To cock the rifle hold securely in one hand and with the other pull the cocking lever downwards until the
trigger mechanism engages and the safety catch button pops out. The button has an indication groove, coloured
RED, to show when it is correctly engaged."

Oops..... LOL

no avatar
sherlock1963

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:36 pm

It is likely that the oil/grease that AA use in the trigger unit is affecting the operation of the cocking/safety button. Maybe the stuff they use is good for transportation/storage but it leaves the sears discoloured and slow as it becomes sticky.

I have stripped several TXs and Pro Sports and they all need a good clean out, polish and re-lube with something more suitable. This will often make the rifles easier to get the full cocking stroke and safety button popping out. It's much easier to get a crisp. creep-free trigger with the unit out.

The quality of machining of the sears, particularly the contact points, seems to have got worse in the last 5 years. A friend's TX has some damage to the top sear where the piston rod latches. AA have not been helpful I am a fan of Air Arms rifles but I fear qc is declining.

Stripping the rifle will invalidate the warranty ............................... It can make a noticeable difference to the cocking stroke and trigger pull but you need to bear that in mind.
Bullpup TX MK2- TX200SR- NJR100--TX MK1 TX MK3- Pro-Elite - RN10

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:03 pm

it's difficult for AA to justify warranty voiding by cleaning and greasing trigger parts when they publish DIY youtube lessons showing how to do it. I was advised it was deadly dangerous to change my own gauge but then I pointed to their video showing you how its done. I got the replacement gauge free and I believe the warranty is intact. Take out Anti-tamper and its a different story of course.

no avatar
Dddrees

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:32 am

Thanks for the assistance and recommendations. As of the last couple of sessions on my deck I haven't had any more incidents where I needed to cock the rifle a second time. So for now I think this must have been more to do with the user than the rifle and for now I think I will leave well enough alone.

I must say this is not only fine looking but nice feeling rifle. What a pleasure to behold.

Timmytree

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Dddrees wrote:Thanks for the assistance and recommendations. As of the last couple of sessions on my deck I haven't had any more incidents where I needed to cock the rifle a second time. So for now I think this must have been more to do with the user than the rifle and for now I think I will leave well enough alone.

I must say this is not only fine looking but nice feeling rifle. What a pleasure to behold.

They are beautiful, mine is my go to rifle for just about everything. The last "tug" at the end of the cocking stroke is well known but it's also important to remember a regular drop of light oil on the safety button, that helps to stop it sticking.
As for getting the best from the Prosport, always use the same hold and it will reward you, I use the forward stockbolts as a guide to forehand position and can rest the stock on my hand or directly on shooting sticks with no loss of accuracy.

no avatar
Dddrees

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Timmytree wrote:
Dddrees wrote:Thanks for the assistance and recommendations. As of the last couple of sessions on my deck I haven't had any more incidents where I needed to cock the rifle a second time. So for now I think this must have been more to do with the user than the rifle and for now I think I will leave well enough alone.

They are beautiful, mine is my go to rifle for just about everything. The last "tug" at the end of the cocking stroke is well known but it's also important to remember a regular drop of light oil on the safety button, that helps to stop it sticking.
As for getting the best from the Prosport, always use the same hold and it will reward you, I use the forward stockbolts as a guide to forehand position and can rest the stock on my hand or directly on shooting sticks with no loss of accuracy.

Great points. I'll have to remember these. Is it possible to successfully apply the oil on the safety without breaking anything down?