Finally decided on a drop in kit

no avatar
Moosequito

Finally decided on a drop in kit

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:30 pm

I've been looking to put a drop in kit in my 177 Prosport for some time now and I've spent lots of time looking at what kit to use. I've looked at them all, TBT, Welsh Willy, Vortek, Vmac, I've even looked into NickG and Wonky donkey to name but a few. It quickly became a mine field.

So I have finally made my decision and it came down to cost. So I have now ordered a TBT spring guide kit for £26.45. BARGAIN! I figure as my gun is relatively new the existing spring should be good so all I needed was the guides so have ruled out all the kits with springs. I'm sure I wont be disappointed in the TBT kit as I have not found any criticism anywhere.

A question I do have is whether it would be worth putting a piston/spring sleeve in too. I have a sheet of thin PTFE that I could use. Is this a good idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Matt.

Blackbaronfish

Re: Finally decided on a drop in kit

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:22 am

I doubt you will need the sleeve once you have fitted the spring guide.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Timmytree

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm

You may not have enough tolerance to fit a sleeve, the spring to sidewall clearance is very small.
I've currently got a TBT kit in my PS and I'm pleased with it, I've tried a shortstroke kit but didn't like it.

no avatar
Moosequito

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Timmytree wrote:You may not have enough tolerance to fit a sleeve, the spring to sidewall clearance is very small.
I've currently got a TBT kit in my PS and I'm pleased with it, I've tried a shortstroke kit but didn't like it.

Thanks Timmytree. I will probably leave it then. Would the sidewall benefit from a polish instead?
I have looked into the short stroke but it seems to cause as many issues as it solves so thought I would just see how my gun feels with just the spring guide for now.
I'm still trying to find a good pellet for it too. I found PelletPerfect sample JSB exact 4.53 were great but when I bought a tin the results were way off. Different batch I suppose. My Prosport seems to be extremely pellet fussy.

Timmytree

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Mine likes AA fields in 4.52, Field Express are supposed to be good but I haven't really tried them yet.
Polishing the sidewalls inside the piston isn't needed, any gain won't be noticed. Good guides, good lube and polished sears are what makes the biggest difference to a Prosport, next is pellet weight, mine certainly prefers the lighter pellets with Mosquitos feeling brilliant but unfortunately just not accurate enough.

no avatar
seagate

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:37 pm

I agree that there's not really enough room for a piston liner,more than likely you'll find with what ever you use it'll cause spring bind,or may not even cock.

Can recommend tb guides, though to do it properly you'd be best measuring your spring and letting him have the exact diameter size to ensure for a good firm fit. This on it's own should remove any twang or negative vibes.

I've currently got a short stroke piston head in my tx,found best results were with titan spring. Though not everyones cup of tea.

Best group in my rifle were shot with ,strangely enough ,vintage mosquitos. But currently using airarms express that are very similar getting reliable results.