Pro Sport trigger unit wear

no avatar
KimeHyde

Pro Sport trigger unit wear

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:38 pm

I have new pro sport only about 500 pellet fired. I notise some aluminium chips near the trigger unit when I was cleaning the gun and stock was removed.
When I dismantle trigger block away from the gun I can see that the end of the piston has grinded material from the trigger block as can be seen from attached photos.

Is this normal?
How it can wear this fast?
Attachments
rps20160716_162932.jpg
rps20160716_162932.jpg (114.13 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
rps20160716_162911.jpg
rps20160716_162911.jpg (139.92 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
Last edited by KimeHyde on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
KimeHyde

Re: Pro Sport trigger unit wear

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 pm

How this topic can be moved to "Spring guns and tuning"?

Sake-san

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Certainly not normal nor in any way good. I imagine that something is out of alignment and the hardened steel latch rod is eating the sear or part of the casing.
Personally, given it is a new gun, I would have it sent back to AA for remedy / replacement. A trigger unit full of metal filings is only going to bring issues and if the trigger is not nice the rest of the gun never will be!.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
KimeHyde

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks for you comments Sake-san.

I did some further investigation and come to conclusion that the problem is not alignment or such.

Trigger block wear is caused by deformation at piston latch rod what connects to trigger sear. That rod should be hardened so well that no wear or deformation would not occur at high stress contact with trigger sear.

Now this piston rod has some deformation and quit a lot wear. It has come to REALLY sharp and diameter at the edge is more than rod itself.
So because of this deformation and diameter becoming larger it is grinding soft aluminium at every piston stroke.

I think that rod material is bad, not hard enough.
Trigger sear looks good, no wear at all.

What should I do?
I can easily make a steel bushing "inliner" to trigger block and purchase a new piston?
But I had just spend 800€ to spring gun and now just after a one week usage I need to fix it and spend 80€ to spare parts.
That feels odd.... and I beleve that AA makes quality guns....
Attachments
rps20160717_114242.jpg
rps20160717_114242.jpg (116.73 KiB) Viewed 4239 times

Sake-san

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:21 am

No question for me, you should send it back for either satisfactory remedy or replacement. If your analysis is correct the issue is not only one of poor quality but, one that could lead to safety issues.
No reason to accept it, get it changed.
Sorry that you have the hassle but, I am sure that AA will be motivated to sort the matter out.

no avatar
KimeHyde

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:55 am

Yes normally I would send it back to dealer but in my case that means no more shooting rest of this summer.
I live in Finland, so if gun need to be returned from dealer to AA England that takes month at least.
If I got needed spare parts I will make the repair less than 30min

Later I was thinking is the problem only caused by bad material at piston rod because the wear area at the edge of rod is so small and angled wierdly.
Top sear or main sear has odd shape and it is holding from the piston rod only a few millimeters. Like the sear is not going up enough and because of this the grab from piston rod is really small. And the shape of the sear is so that the area what is grabing from the piston rod is angled. Not the same angle as rod latch point but higher angle. See the wear shape from my previous post.
So is the Top/Main sear causing this also?
I also wonder why AA is using aluminium at this area. I found many photos with the google about dismantled TX200 and Pro Sport triggers and wear can be seen at the same area of aluminium trigger block.

With the AA trigger you can't adjust the position of sear? How mouch it should be grabing from piston rod latch point?

Main sear is not a available as a spare part, you need to purchase hole trigger unit... 100£ nice
So I need spare parts cost of normal air gun. total cost of needed pars approx. 160£ !!!!!

My earlier air gun was Gamo CFX and after many many years of shooting there was no wear at metal parts at all when I serviced it before selling. Only new seals was needed. Main sear and piston latch points were like never used.

Sake-san

Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Well you have the obvious options, in your position I think I would send a nice e-mail direct to AA describing the issue and your profound disappointment.
Who knows, they might just, just be nice enough to send you either a new sear or perhaps a complete trigger block.
I would have also thought that you have recourse via your retailer to replace the gun / refund you as it is clearly not right?.

no avatar
KimeHyde

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:30 pm

but I don't know what is the "real" problem of this gun.
Poorly hardened piston latch rod, faulty main sear, using aluminium at high stress location... or all... or something else...

Whatever the problem is new piston assembly and trigger unit with the block are needed and ordered already. Payment from my pocket but that is not final ending.
I did make some phone calls today.

So I will fix the gun with the new parts but I will also do some modification to original trigger block.
It will get hardened steel bushing. Not going to install it yet but just ready for next aluminium rainfall from the gun ;)

PS: good thing about the ProSport. It is deadly accurate! I can hit the same pellet hole from 40m !!! that with 4-12x44 Stirling scope. I'm using artillery hold and sandbag under my hand.
Last edited by KimeHyde on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
KimeHyde

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:32 pm

Today I had a long conversation with Air Arms support person.
Must say that this company have really good customer service. Thank you for advice and everything.
I have always liked people from UK and this is not exception :)

Soon my ProSport will be good as new.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Who did you speak to?. They are a good bunch and religh on customer feedback.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started