Just picked up a Prosport

no avatar
tomdavies9

Just picked up a Prosport

Sun May 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Just picked up a .177 Prosport for a bit of a steal (£240) and after the usual strip and degrease, plus a quick tensioning of the under lever and play with the trigger which is now super sweet :D I'm very happy!!

Just wondering, what have people done to tune their Prosports?? Seen lots of posts on work done to TX's but nothing really on Prosports?? Just wondering as I'm debating playing with the internals more.

Cheers Guys

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Just picked up a Prosport

Mon May 16, 2016 4:59 pm

pro sports are in effect very similar. i have posted on what i had done to mine. i think the post was titled .177 prosport almost there.
before you go playing with it, decide what you are trying to acheive. Tuning is a bit of a misnomer, retuning is a better adjective. one size does not fit all, what you like and i like could be two separate entities, neither is right or wrong. do your research first.
Gary.

Timmytree

Mon May 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Leave it alone until you've got some lead through it. Replacing the guide and/or tophat with delrin versions can sometimes make a difference, but if its sweet and twang free there's no point. Just using different weight pellets can make a difference to the feel of the shot cycle.

no avatar
tomdavies9

Mon May 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Yes I've seen your post on my travels I think, interesting read Gary. I'm quite aware of what I want out of it, and I've done a lot of reading on the subject and experiences of others. My overall goal is a reduction in recoil and just to improve consistency and efficiency.

The trigger is beautiful, and after a 10 minute fiddle is now shooting exactly as I want it. The only thing I really feel needs addressing is a bit of spring twang, so delrin guides was going to be my first stop. Just looking for advice really on what people have done and what outcome it had.

Thanks for the input guys.

no avatar
gary martin

Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

tomdavies9 wrote:Yes I've seen your post on my travels I think, interesting read Gary. I'm quite aware of what I want out of it, and I've done a lot of reading on the subject and experiences of others. My overall goal is a reduction in recoil and just to improve consistency and efficiency.

The trigger is beautiful, and after a 10 minute fiddle is now shooting exactly as I want it. The only thing I really feel needs addressing is a bit of spring twang, so delrin guides was going to be my first stop. Just looking for advice really on what people have done and what outcome it had.

Thanks for the input guys.

i did what i did because of my sport FT. shortening the stroke in my case improved the hold sensitivity as things happen quicker. the sight picture has also been improved, using a large mag scope, target still remains in scope making it easier to see pellet flight, or if i don't see it the pellet strike, this helps judging wind on subseqent targets easier. the recoil is reduced but feels harsher. reducing piston weight brings smoothness back to the firing cycle. cocking is harder than Mk3 spec. hope this helps and gives you an insight into the mods i have carried out.i am lucky as i know a couple of very well respected tuners, getting advice and shooting rifles they have modded, made choosing mods easier.
Gary.

no avatar
tomdavies9

Tue May 17, 2016 9:58 pm

All experiences and outcomes are appreciated and a good read, so everything helps thanks guys haha!!

As I said I think after I've addressed the bit of spring twang, smoothness and efficiency will be my overall goal. I've thought about reducing piston weight but wondered if anything else would have to be done (Transfer port, more or less preload etc...) My Ideal final setup would be around 10.5/11 ft-lb with a more efficient action and hopefully a reduction in recoil to boot, but I'm very aware that this isn't a perfect world :lol: