New tuning discovery

no avatar
FPoole

New tuning discovery

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 am

This new discovery will revolutionize spring gun tuning. I've long suspected, and now am certain, that much of the accuracy in a tuned gun is in the spring. I'm talking about those guns with the tight guides and dull thud shooting cycles. When accuracy falls off, and it's not a dirty barrel, it is a spring that's no longer able to fully spring off that tight rear guide. I've seen it so many times, a good shooting gun suddenly goes off. It's been so good for several thousand shots. You clean the barrel, check the screws and then a chrono check. It's down as little as 15 fps from when it was really good and that just shouldn't matter, right? Wrong, drop in that new spring and all the lost accuracy comes back instantly. We spend so much time with all the other things when it can be as simple as a sacked out weakened spring that can no longer spring back with consistency. That last word in the previous sentence is the important one. When all else fails, check the spring.

no avatar
mark holding

Re: New tuning discovery

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:52 pm

It would be interesting to know how long a main standard manufactured spring will last compared to the aftermarket variety tuning kit springs, as in all things, the quality of the materials must play their part in the life of the mainspring. I am sure some have had the same springs in their rifles for years, but this is a very good subject matter. What do all the springer shooters think, and what about gas ram technology, and their lifespan compared to a spring?

Sake-san

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm

IMHO far too many variables to answer that question in any useful way, I test thoroughly and service my competition TX springers every 6 months (unless issues arise which touch wood is very rare) which for me coincides with the warm / cooler temp change ref power calibration adjustments. I chrono with weighed pellets every month (temp change database) and always if changing pellets, components etc.
Typically for me, new...
Springs: >20000 shots
O-ring piston seals: >10000 shots (would go longer but, they cost nothing)
Breach o-rings: >10000 shots (as above)
Thorough degrease, clean (the primary objective) and relube >20000 shots

Individual guns, components, lubrication types / application & quantity, shot cycle, spring type & quality, pellet weight, stroke, frequency and duration of use, storage / shooting conditions ... etc etc etc will make a difference. But, for anyone interested that is my experience and regime.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
Nick G

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Sake San, you do keep on top of them don't you ?

Sake-san

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:04 pm

I do Nick, perchance a tad ott but, better that way than neglect & surprises. Have no doubt your kits will run longer, what sort of intervals do you recommend?.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
Axelrod

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Nothing that keeps consistency is ott. dave

no avatar
granville

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:00 pm

mark holding wrote:It would be interesting to know how long a main standard manufactured spring will last compared to the aftermarket variety tuning kit springs, as in all things, the quality of the materials must play their part in the life of the mainspring. I am sure some have had the same springs in their rifles for years, but this is a very good subject matter. What do all the springer shooters think, and what about gas ram technology, and their lifespan compared to a spring?

jim tyler done a great piece on this in air gun world some years ago worth finding and reading .

no avatar
Rossmofo

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:38 am

Totally agree about the tired spring issue, sometimes you can hear or feel that the rebound vibration from the spring has somehow changed accompanied by a change in accuracy, great thing is though its not a hard or expensive thing to change whilst giving you the chance to change seals etc at the same time.
Born with nothing and still have most of it .

S200 Mk3 .177
Air Arms HFT500 .177
Daystate Huntsman Regal .22
HW98 .177
SMK PP700W .177