TX200HC shooting positions??

no avatar
andrewpjudge

TX200HC shooting positions??

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Evening all. I am in need of some guidance, I have the TX200HC with a silencer, I knew it was a heavy beast before I bought her but I am now struggling to maintain a good steady aim. I have zeroed it (well i think I have, probably needs a little adjusting) at 30 yards but when i take a kneeling position or even prone I can't keep the darn thing steady enough and my grouping is embarrassing! At first I found that the pellet choice I had was too small, I had JSB EXACT 4.51mm and got large grouping but with my H&N Baracuda Hunter hollow points they were a tighter fit in the barrel and gave me a much better grouping from a supported position. I have ordered some JSB EXACT 4.52mm to prove my theory. I definitely will not be using a bipod as I have heard that basically you just don't do this. So is it a thing that I just keep practicing and practice more. Also a shooting bags frowned upon? I plan to take most of my shots from a prone position but understand that you can't always choose how you want to shoot. any help would be greatly appreciated, I just don't get it I get better success and grouping with the SA80 at 300 yards on a windy day!!

no avatar
gary martin

Re: TX200HC shooting positions??

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:30 pm

may be of some help to yourself.
BFTA technical manual. worth a read at the veryleast.
Gary.

no avatar
andrewpjudge

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks very much, having a read now.

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:26 pm

andrewpjudge wrote:Thanks very much, having a read now.

no problem, thats what this forum is for, help, friendship advise and banter. hope you find something useful to aid your progress.
Gary.

no avatar
Bosun

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Don't disspare, even the very best Olympic shooters can't hold the rifle steady. The difference is, they can hold it steadier than you.

Yes, practice is very important, but don't be afraid to use a rest, there is no shame. But as you say, certainly not a bi-pod. A shooting cushion, or even your hand can make an effective rest/support. Just remember to rest and hold the rifle gently, and let it recoil as it wants. Trying to hold the rifle steady by gripping it tighter will only make things worse!
Air Arms ProSport 0.177 Walnut, MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44
Air Arms TX200 HC 0.177 Walnut, MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44
Weihrauch HW75 Pistol
Umarex Colt M1911A1 pellet Pistol
Umarex Beretta 92FS pellet Pistol
Swiss Arms P1911 BB Pistol