Prosport relube

no avatar
nav2016

Prosport relube

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Just ordered a new stock spring for my pro sport after finding a rather snappy titan in it. Everything is nice and clean in there and ready for the new spring. I've read that these guns can get a little twangy over time and need servicing on a regular basis. Just asking for a few tips on greasing, how much and where to apply to dampen twangyness.
Thanks.

Blackbaronfish

Re: Prosport relube

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Cv grease lightly coating the spring will dampen any vibration

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Timmytree

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:01 pm

If you're using a standard spring guide try both ends of the spring on it, leave it on the tightest fit. A merest hint of moly grease around the lip of the seal. Put some in the bearing channels and on the bearing faces.
Personally I use a fair bit on the rear of the spring, about a level teaspoonful. Polish the spring ends and the face of the tophat. Similar rules if you're using delrin guides.
When you're rebuilt the rifle put a few drops of 3 in 1 or similar on the surface of the comp tube that shows in the loading port, do that regularly and also add a drop to the safety button to stop it sticking.
Shoot it and enjoy it! If it starts twanging it usually means a relube which can be done without removing piston or comp tube in the future so only takes about 10 minutes.

no avatar
nav2016

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:41 pm

Timmytree wrote:If you're using a standard spring guide try both ends of the spring on it, leave it on the tightest fit. A merest hint of moly grease around the lip of the seal. Put some in the bearing channels and on the bearing faces.
Personally I use a fair bit on the rear of the spring, about a level teaspoonful. Polish the spring ends and the face of the tophat. Similar rules if you're using delrin guides.
When you're rebuilt the rifle put a few drops of 3 in 1 or similar on the surface of the comp tube that shows in the loading port, do that regularly and also add a drop to the safety button to stop it sticking.
Shoot it and enjoy it! If it starts twanging it usually means a relube which can be done without removing piston or comp tube in the future so only takes about 10 minutes.

Thanks.

Sake-san

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Assuming all standard internals, for me two basic choices (but, like favourite recipes there are thousands of variations)

Old and trusted (my epitaph!)
Moly grease and a couple of drops of silicon oil in the compression tube (less is more), motorcycle chain lube on spring (very sticky & does not migrate), moly paste (e.g. Rocol) on outside of compression tube / inside action, it lasts for years.

New and fangled
Finish Line Teflon grease (or similar) all over as described above (again, less is more)

Have fun...
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun