pro sport .177 almost there!

no avatar
gary martin

pro sport .177 almost there!

Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:15 pm

after for what seems an ice age to get the pro sport to my liking, we believe we have got there. Now it's not quite nirvana due to of the limitations. my sport is FT but i want to keep the std stock, as in my opinion it is beautiful from every angle. another limitation is the way the cocking linkage attaches to the compression tube. i wanted to go further but aired on the side of caution.
i am not a fan of the mk3 long stroke, it in my opinion gives a lack of hold sensitivity, which also makes follow through difficult. so short stroke was going to play a part in my rifles make up. the simple things had to be done first though. Breach seals were changed, efficiency at keeping my compressed air transfering it's energy to the pellet is a must. stripping the trigger, and polishing the sears to a mirror finish to give a more precise and finer feel. i purchased an Air Arms mk2 spring from Julian Bond and sent it to Nick Stanning (tinbum) for some custom made delrin guides to suit the spring. i then bought a vortek O ring piston seal to fit on a piston fitted with a longer latchrod to achieve a stroke of 85mm. the piston complete weighed 233 grams. the transfer port was kept std. in this configuration it was a bit too effiecient. back to the drawing board. a lighter piston to reduce power and give a softer feel, as short stroking produces a harsher feel as everything happens faster was needed. the piston was fitted with a latchrod to give a stroke of 82mm and weighed 176 grams. once again no work was carried out on the transfer port. this piston was fitted with a Nick Gibney O ring conversion, he also did the work on the piston for me. in this format it gives a snappy feel, but the light piston gives a smoother softer feel. my compression tube seems efficient with the o ring seals giving very consistant FPS. stunning with JSB Express 7.9, shot five shot string out of tin, four came in at 805 fps, and one spoiled it at 802fps, Using JSB Exact 8.44, not quite as good consistancy but still giving 5 fps spread out of tin. average fps using these was 788 fps. happy days, just need to scope up and get some testing in.
at some time in future, i will get a TX 200, and try doing one full FT style, stock etc with a stroke circa 76-77mm, but we shall play with this PS first.
Gary.

Sake-san

Re: pro sport .177 almost there!

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Well I was wondering where your questions and work were leading!, all sounds good and on par for the course.
If you are ever this way the doors are open and I shall swiftly convert you to a TX full length, the precise internals remain classified :mrgreen:
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Sake-san wrote:Well I was wondering where your questions and work were leading!, all sounds good and on par for the course.
If you are ever this way the doors are open and I shall swiftly convert you to a TX full length, the precise internals remain classified :mrgreen:

classified! LOL , i predict a piston and a spring! remember, i know your Dr.

it took a while, i didn't want to go too light on the piston front, didn't want piston bounce. the results although not extensive seem favourable. just got it back together today. the intention is to shoot recoiling class next year, if i can master the std/lightweight stock. i wanted to keep it due to the looks, both of the rifle and fellow shooters when i rock up with a sporter!
the full length TX is for the future, full on FT spec.
Gary.

Sake-san

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:40 am

You will have a lot of fun and no doubt upset some of the PCP brigade :twisted:
Despite my conviction to leave the Allen keys and spanner alone for a bit.... I failed :mrgreen: , snake oil and magic fairy dust :shock:
So am currently trialling a new prescription from another Dr, so far so good but, early days ;)

Have a great Christmas and a happy "top bombing" new year

no avatar
gary martin

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:53 am

happy christmas mate.

no avatar
DESERT FOX

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:38 am

Does a TX MK1+2 spring fit the latest Prosport ok.
Apart from needing different guides.
What sort of power do they give standard with no preload with a MK1 or MK2 spring?

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:37 pm

DESERT FOX wrote:Does a TX MK1+2 spring fit the latest Prosport ok.
Apart from needing different guides.
What sort of power do they give standard with no preload with a MK1 or MK2 spring?

mk2 spring has a heavier gauge wire. only the guides need to be changed. the stroke on the mk 1 / 2 is 86mm. power depends on many things, swept volume of chamber, transfer port dimensions, compression chamber, piston seal, breach seal, piston weight, pellet used the list goes on. a std mk 1 / 2 is circa 12 ft/lbs. i did not try the mk3 spring in short stroke spec, so can't comment. the mk 3 spec rifle has a simmilar output, by using a greater swept volume whilst using a lighter gauge wire spring.
Gary.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Sake-san wrote:Well I was wondering where your questions and work were leading!, all sounds good and on par for the course.

Are we talking 25mm and o'rings. :geek:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Sake-san

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Nope :mrgreen:

no avatar
gary martin

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:

Are we talking 25mm and o'rings. :geek:

BBF

BS 4518 19.6 X 2.4 O Rings to be precise.
Gary.