Silent night

Sake-san

Silent night

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:06 pm

Still so quiet, you would think somebody with a TX / PS would be seeking divine guidance :lol: :lol: :lol:
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
wastrel

Re: Silent night

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Sake-san wrote:Still so quiet, you would think somebody with a TX / PS would be seeking divine guidance :lol: :lol: :lol:

I`d love to hand you my LGU Sake, for a coherent comparison, may just take a run down to see TT cos I`d love to meet him, if I do, I`ll let him try it for a few weeks, I`d like his opinion too. what calibre are your guns BTW?
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

Sake-san

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:22 pm

My TX's are both .177, I shoot target disciplines only with airguns when at home in France, hunting with airguns is not permitted here at all, despite a higher power (14.75 ft/lbs) limit than the UK.
I have read great things about the LGU but, after my long and extensive tuning experimentation I must say that my TX's are now simply superb. Virtually no site picture movement at all, you can see the pellet flight path and target strike point, can be shot off a bench rest if desired like a PCP. With weighed pellets <5fps consistency spread.

Pav

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Sake-san wrote:My TX's are both .177, I shoot target disciplines only with airguns when at home in France, hunting with airguns is not permitted here at all, despite a higher power (14.75 ft/lbs) limit than the UK.
I have read great things about the LGU but, after my long and extensive tuning experimentation I must say that my TX's are now simply superb. Virtually no site picture movement at all, you can see the pellet flight path and target strike point, can be shot off a bench rest if desired like a PCP. With weighed pellets <5fps consistency spread.

I have a TX200HC in 22, which coming up for a year old. It only just manages 10fpe, but I absolutely love the way it shoots and I can't believe it's accuracy, when I do my part that is. :lol: I've recently sold my HW95 and I'm off to the local RFD tomorrow to treat myself to another TX200HC in 177 this time tho. Can you give me an idea of what work is required to achieve virtually no site picture movement at all? Is it something someone with basic mechanical skills can do themselves? Can the work be undertaken in phases, to suit ones budget?

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions and if you tell me to take a long walk off a short pier, I won't be offended. :lol:
S510 177 Walnut Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 IR AO
TX200HC 22 CS500 Hawke 3-12x50 IR AO
TX200HC 177 CS700 Falcon 4-14x44FFP IR
TX200 177 Walnut 4-16x44 TargetMaster
HW98 177 Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44
HW77 22 Beach 3-12x50 AO Mountmaster
BASC Member

no avatar
FPoole

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:09 am

Pav, I have full length TX's and just recently spent $250 U.S. for a kit made in the U.K. I put it in one of my guns and while the sight picture does move a bit, I can see the pellet strike the target at the end. Just a quick nudge at the shoulder. You can search the BBS forum or Airgunforum Co. UK. for TX tuning details. Lots of pointers from several fellows. The kit I have includes new piston from a Walther that takes a different style seal, modified comp. tube, and a fixed rear guide that required the end plug to be altered. Extensive kit and it works very well, but it's not that much better than what can be achieved with just a fitted guide and a re-lube. Hopefully Sake-San will reply soon.

Sake-san

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Pav wrote:
Sake-san wrote:My TX's are both .177, I shoot target disciplines only with airguns when at home in France, hunting with airguns is not permitted here at all, despite a higher power (14.75 ft/lbs) limit than the UK.

I have a TX200HC in 22, which coming up for a year old. It only just manages 10fpe, but I absolutely love the way it shoots and I can't believe it's accuracy, when I do my part that is. :lol: I've recently sold my HW95 and I'm off to the local RFD tomorrow to treat myself to another TX200HC in 177 this time tho. Can you give me an idea of what work is required to achieve virtually no site picture movement at all? Is it something someone with basic mechanical skills can do themselves? Can the work be undertaken in phases, to suit ones budget?

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions and if you tell me to take a long walk off a short pier, I won't be offended. :lol:

First up go for a full length TX rather than the HC, because it is more efficient (longer barrel) less spring force is required vs the HC and after short stroking with a lighter piston you will need more spring power. Additional benefits are less muzzle flip (more weight at the front end) and less cocking effort (the spring again and longer cocking lever) it is also quieter.
For absolute minimal sight picture movement a light ally, short stroke custom piston with an o-ring seal (makes power from the start of the stroke) with appropriate spring, weight of top hat and delrin guide, Nick Gibney makes and supplies these as a drop in kit. Not particularly smooth, sweet or refined but, consistent and you can see the pellet flight which for target shooting is a major advantage.
More refined in feel is a short stroked, lightened standard piston machined to take a Walther LGU seal, larger piston guides, shortened transfer port, new spring and sized delrin guides, Dave Price can undertake this work for you. Very, very close ref sight movement to the above but, not quite equal in my appraisal.
The o-ring seals seem less temperature sensitive than the usual parachute type, I don't know yet with regard to the LGU seal but, recalibrating (e.g. reducing some pre-load) once a year between summer and winter is no big deal anyway.
After a lot of experimentation and trials this is my personal conclusion and I would be very happy to live with with either approach.
If you have the tools or access to them (lathes etc.) and requisite skills no doubt you can do it all yourself, there are plenty of specs available. With o-rings the crush needs to be just right (a problem that I encountered with an earlier tune kit) for good consistent performance.
Hope that helps, have fun and safe shooting.

Pav

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:30 pm

A little late for that Sake-San, I purchased the TX200HC on Friday morning. I understand your reasoning for going with the full length TX200, but I am hoping to use both my TX200's for hunting in the future.

I would prefer to go down the route that gives/keeps refinement as a high priority. My original 22 TX200HC has settled down at 9.9fpe with a spread of 11fps, which I don't think is to bad for a rifle that has never been apart. It shoots sweetly, without a hint of twang and a "comfortable" nudge at the shoulder and a reassuring thud on let off. I've never been one hung up on power level, which is why rifle is still as it was out of the box, with the exception of a little trigger adjustment. I'm thinking that the lower power level of my rifle is a major contribution to its sweet shooting cycle, a characteristic I would prefer not to lose.

More refined in feel is a short stroked, lightened standard piston machined to take a Walther LGU seal, larger piston guides, shortened transfer port, new spring and sized delrin guides, Dave Price can undertake this work for you.

I think in all honesty this is the route I would probably be inclined to go down and I thank you for your input. Would you kindly send me a PM with contact details for both Dave Price and Nick Gibney (if you have the of course), so I may contact both, before making a final decision.
S510 177 Walnut Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 IR AO
TX200HC 22 CS500 Hawke 3-12x50 IR AO
TX200HC 177 CS700 Falcon 4-14x44FFP IR
TX200 177 Walnut 4-16x44 TargetMaster
HW98 177 Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44
HW77 22 Beach 3-12x50 AO Mountmaster
BASC Member

Sake-san

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:10 am

PM on the way for you.