TX200 trigger

no avatar
ChrisW

TX200 trigger

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:04 am

Hi all

This evening I took the plunge and serviced my TX200. I haven't had a chance to test fire it yet, but if all is well with that aspect of it (the only thing I think I may have over done is greasing the spring, but I digress) I want to tune the trigger too as I've never been happy with it since day 1.

As with the strip down of the power plant (if you will), I have found plenty of guides on what pins to knock out to get the trigger unit apart and the sears out, but very little info on what to lube once you're done or how to get the sears back in correctly. My main concern is around that pair of sears that are linked by a spring, never mind the fact that you're doing it blind as the two halves of the trigger are riveted together.

I am also concerned that unlike the S400, you can't pop the sears in to have a play with setting them after polishing and then simply put the side plate back on when you're happy with everything.

Can anyone give me any pointers or tips on how to get this trigger set up nicely (I understand the principles of first and second stage and trigger pull weight adjustment screws), and more importantly disassembled and reassembled in a working state!

Thanks

moulindu

Re: TX200 trigger

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:45 am

Hi Chris
just couple of days back i disassembled my TX 200 trigger for first time in my life. I took the procedure from this forum & one video of dismantling a rekord trigger & i was amazed how easily it could be done.After polishing all the sears (mind you only smoothing rough areas with 2500 grit wet n dry followed by metal polish but not rounding off any edges).
ChrisW wrote: I have found plenty of guides on what pins to knock out to get the trigger unit apart and the sears out, but very little info on what to lube once you're done or how to get the sears back in correctly

I used JM moly on possible every part of the trigger unit as i thought there will be metal to metal contact.
ChrisW wrote: My main concern is around that pair of sears that are linked by a spring, never mind the fact that you're doing it blind as the two halves of the trigger are riveted together.

Try to get a printout of the TX trigger internals with the sears set outside the trigger housing, this will give you an idea.if i remember correctly there is a big a pin in the middle of the housing, the spring of the 1st & middle sear goes below that big pin. Yes that takes a little bit of fettling around, but not too difficult. I inserted the lower sear & fixed it than there is little space for 1st & 2nd sears to play around.
My set up with tinbum kit led to not engaging safety though the gun was cocking everytime, thinking that i might have made some mistake in trigger assembly, i disassembled it again & repeated the procedure :oops: .Then i played around with trigger & reassembled, with little tinkering with TBT internals TX is now up & running again smoothly.
Thanks Moulindu

no avatar
ChrisW

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks Moulindu. If the trigger unit is anywhere near as easy to work on as the rest of the gun I'm hoping I shouldn't have too many issues. Did you work out what you had done wrong the first time that prevented the safety from engaging when the rifle was cocked?

The trigger unit will be next weeks task, but first I need to work out exactly why the rifle has developed a slight twang upon firing now :o

moulindu

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:41 am

Hi Chris
ChrisW wrote: If the trigger unit is anywhere near as easy to work on as the rest of the gun I'm hoping I shouldn't have too many issues.

I wouldn't say its difficult but you have to do your homework before commencing this tune up. Here is a link of tx trigger tuning guide, but there was one in earlier edition of AAOc as well, but couldn't find that.
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1142
Here are few pics of my trigger
After polishing the trigger looked shiny :D
Here is a pic of installing the trigger housing in the block, trigger is in uncocked position, trigger housing will be inserted in the trigger block with top sear facing downwards. The safety pin should be held in position before inserting trigger housing in such a way that red mark of safety pin is just visible from other side.
The hardest part was to take out those two pins that held trigger block to the housing.
ChrisW wrote:Did you work out what you had done wrong the first time that prevented the safety from engaging when the rifle was cocked?

Yes fortunately i could find the solution by myself, there was nothing wrong with my trigger assembly, top hat of TBT drop in kit that i installed had longer sleeve length by 8.58mm compared to the stock top hat that was not letting the piston rod to engage safety. So i had to cut off 8mm of the top hat sleeve & evrything fell into place.
ChrisW wrote:The trigger unit will be next weeks task, but first I need to work out exactly why the rifle has developed a slight twang upon firing now

Best of luck with that mate, there are lots of knowledgeable tuners out here in this forum who could give us tons of ideas, btw my rifle after after this tuning is bit twangy as well but I will be feeding her a tin of pellets before i think of making any changes.
Thanks Moulindu

no avatar
ChrisW

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:39 pm

That link on airgunhome was one of the ones I'd found too; it does look like a good breakdown of the job. The additional images and comments you've added are what I think/hope I was looking for. I'll feed back on how it goes when I get round to it next week as I'm sure I'm not the first person to think these things.

As to the twanging, I suppose it is reassuring to know that mine isn't the only one that has developed it after a bit of diligent TLC. I have my theories as to why it's doing it: I had to collapse a coil on the spring to bring the power back under 12 ftlb so there is now less preload, possibly allowing the spring to rebound a bit under recoil now giving it the twang. I didn't cake the spring in grease the second time round that I had it disassembled (in order to collapse the coil after power testing) either and there is significantly less than was on there from the AA factory when I first stripped it down. I will be adding a little more grease to see if that helps (without going overboard on it!). I also want to check for any obvious rub marks now its been reassembled and had about 50ish pellets through it at the range last night.