transfer port dimensions

no avatar
gary martin

transfer port dimensions

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:32 pm

does anyone out there have any theories on transfer port dimensions? a long time ago whilst studying engineering, Benoullis Equation was explored. a vague recollection was in fluids if a volume of fluid per second went in, the equal came out. so with the reduction in cross sectional area of the transfer port in relation to the cross sectional area of the cylinder, velocity would increase to compensate for the differential. so if the transfer port dia is increased the volume of air passing through should be the same but with a lower velocity. has anyone experimented? is it shot cycle feel you went for etc?
Gary.

Blackbaronfish

Re: transfer port dimensions

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:27 am

What rifle are you referring to. Opening one up was done to death years ago and its common to see them reworked and reduced again. Mick (T20) has a lot of knowledge with the springers so he may follow this up.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
gary martin

Re: transfer port dimensions

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:42 am

Blackbaronfish wrote:What rifle are you referring to. Opening one up was done to death years ago and its common to see them reworked and reduced again. Mick (T20) has a lot of knowledge with the springers so he may follow this up.

BBF

its more of general interest to be honest. i was just wondering. in my eyes opening up the port will reduce the compression, which should then reduce the cushion of air in front of the piston. i would have thought this would in turn create a harsh shot cycle. having not opened up the port, and at this point not intending to do, the engineering theory interests me, but sometimes theory and practice can differ. thank you for your response though.
Gary.