Regulator, are they worth changing

no avatar
Billrobo

Regulator, are they worth changing

Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:07 am

Hi all,
I've been away from airriffles shooting for about 10 years + amongst other guns I have an Airarms S410, (pre tamperproof) with a stunning tiger stripe walnut stock, anyway, as it is I got the gun out the other day to have a play with it, and yes is was empty of air, tried to fill it but would not hole pressure over 160 bar, changed two seals near the pressure gauge and block and all OK now, sorry I have digressed on the subject but wanted to let you know where I am, anyway just before I finished shooting airriffles I herd of a guy that was part of the Theoben group (back then) that was making regulators for the airarms to give a much better consistent pressure shot group shot count, etc, does anyone know if he still makes them? Or if there are any other companies making them? Any help or advice on where I could get one or whether it's worth getting one or not?
Kind regards
Bill

no avatar
tonyc

Re: Regulator, are they worth changing

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:24 pm

If it's a full length S410 I wouldn't bother.

For a carbine, if you want to increase the shot count you might consider an Altaros regulator. They use the existing firing valve and springing, require no changes to the transfer port or hole in the cylinder. I have one on a .177 S510 carbine and get 70 consistent shots with less than 10fps variation. The overall shot count isn't much higher than an unregged version running from 190 to 105bar but either the variation would be significantly more (over 20fps) or, over the sweet spot (10fps variation), the shot count is less than 50.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:58 pm

It was Ben Taylor that was making the regulators. He completely retired a few years back.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Archer50

Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:44 pm

To back up what Tony said, regulating any rifle length S-series gun is just not worth it. It may be worth considering for the carbine versions and, speaking from experience, I would recommend using the Altaros reg, as it is as good as the Lane or HuMa and doesn't need a hole in the cylinder.

One of the biggest fallacies of regulators is that they improve shot-to-shot consistency, but they don't. If your consistency is poor before the reg, it will be just as poor after it unless you find and fix the root cause, which in these guns, if it is not a blown seal is usually a dirty or lubricated hammer rail, or a worn firing valve face. What's more, provided you use the unregulated gun in it's 'sweet spot', which personally I define as ±8 fps, you won't even notice the power curve. The only thing a regulator can do of any significance in these guns is increase the shot count, and then only if it is properly installed.

Good luck

Alan

no avatar
Billrobo

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:42 pm

Well guys a big thank you all for replying to my question!!
I'll take your advice and not have one fitted, for what it's worth against it's bennifits in this occasion.
In all fairness, I did a shot string a long long time ago and found my sweet spot was from a full fill @180 bar, release 10 dry shots, then good for the next 5 mags (50shots) then refill, I'm sure, but will try and dig out my shot sting but was +- 7fps
Thanks again for all taking the time to reply,
Regards
Bill