Hft 500

Re: Hft 500

Postby shw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 pm

You guys are much more experienced in this matter than me so I’m very interested in where this discussion is going .. (I’m trying to understand the technical terms and parts that make up a gun) however, for me personally at the moment I’m hoping Air arms will get back to me with some kind of solution before my warranty expires .. otherwise my hft scores will never improve! :lol:
So I may consider trading it for a different brand :x
You say the S series (I’m assuming you mean the s510 ultimate sporter etc) doesn’t have this problem? Are the insides different between these 2 guns ..if so what is the difference?
shw

Postby Archer50 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm

There are minor differences between the workings of S series and the HFT 500, but nothing that seems likely to make a difference, except the barrel. The HFT 500 barrel is 14 mm as opposed to 12.5mm for the S-series, and the transfer port of the HFT 500 (the hole through which the air from the cylinder goes into the barrel when you pull the trigger) is drilled directly into the steel barrel: on the others it is part of a separate, brass assembly.

The really puzzling thing to me is that all these guns are incredibly simple, have very little that can go wrong and everything is easily checked and fixed if necessary - that's one of the main reasons I bought the 500. So, what can the problem be, and does anyone else out there have it?

Alan
Archer50

Postby TenMetrePeter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 am

MPR and MPR FT have the same 14mm barrel and transfer port without problems.

@Shw if you reported the alleged fault in the warranty period then it is covered even if they are still faffing about.

Generally, as has already been suggested, experiencing the occasinal low shots with a chrono is the only way to correlate the fault with an alleged power drop.
S400 MPR Precision 10m.
Green Belt in Ludo
My Youtube
TenMetrePeter

Postby shw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Air arms chrono’d it at the factory when they had it 2 weeks ago .. albeit they only did 10 shots it averaged at 778.9 fps
And it was I chrono’d today over 6 shots at an indoor range and it averaged at 780 fps .. so on that score all seems ok ... but when the ‘dropper’ shot appears which can be at any time so it’s difficult to try and chrono it .
However according to the Air arms foot pounds test result is ... the lowest power recorded was 11.23 ftlbs and the highest is 11.41 which is an average of 11.32 ... so the difference between the highest reading and lowest is :o 0.18 ftlb :o
Which doesn’t seem a lot ..is that enough to make a difference ?
But if it was possible to chrono a ‘dropper’ I don’t know what it would read !
shw

Postby shw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:35 pm

I thought what archer50 posted in June was interesting about the gun strip down and what he found .. :ugeek:
And I quote (I hope you don’t mind ! )

“The hammer rail had an uneven coating of thick, black grease and even when that was cleaned off, it was rough as a badger's arse!

- The ends of the hammer spring were even rougher and the spring itself had also been smeared all over with grease.

- The firing valve stem was nearly as rough as the hammer rail and didn't run freely in the valve body, although I was surprised to find that the ends of the valve spring were nice and smooth, almost polished.

I got to work with iso-propyl alcohol and Autosol and I'm hoping that will have improved things a lot - I'll find out later this week, when I next get a chance to play with the gun.”

And I also read that another chap found a broken seal somewhere around the firing pot area but it still fired reasonably ok
Apparently this is easy to break on reassembley as far as I can make out !
shw

Postby Roger5 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Sounds like it needs another trip back to the A/A factory, as Alan says they are reasonably easy to work on, which is lucky for A/A, or they might be getting a few more back, I have done work on most of the A/A pcps, and up to now have never found one that isn't fixable. Send it back, they should be showing more interest in my opinion. Please let us know how you get on with A/A and your problem, it could help all of the lads who work on their own rifles here. Good luck. Rog
Roger5

Postby TenMetrePeter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 am

shw wrote: ... but when the ‘dropper’ shot appears which can be at any time so it’s difficult to try and chrono it .
... !

Sorry, you originally said it was every 10 shots which was why chronoing it might have worked.
S400 MPR Precision 10m.
Green Belt in Ludo
My Youtube
TenMetrePeter

Postby shw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:
shw wrote: ... but when the ‘dropper’ shot appears which can be at any time so it’s difficult to try and chrono it .
... !

Sorry, you originally said it was every 10 shots which was why chronoing it might have worked.

Maybe the ‘dropper’ is the shot at 11.23 ftlbs ;) I’m not sure .!
shw

Postby shw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 am

Roger5 wrote:Sounds like it needs another trip back to the A/A factory, as Alan says they are reasonably easy to work on, which is lucky for A/A, or they might be getting a few more back, I have done work on most of the A/A pcps, and up to now have never found one that isn't fixable. Send it back, they should be showing more interest in my opinion. Please let us know how you get on with A/A and your problem, it could help all of the lads who work on their own rifles here. Good luck. Rog

I will happily let you know the result .. but as of yet they have just said that all the info has been past to their technical department... which was 2 days ago .... I have even included a link to this thread so they can read what we all have to say :?
shw

Postby shw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 pm

Are there any step by step guides to stripping and cleaning/ lubricating and tuning these rifles just in case I have to end up doing it myself :?
shw

PreviousNext

Return to TECHNICAL