Cleaning

no avatar
supergnome

Cleaning

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Can someone recommend a pull through for cleaning a barrel on the S510 extra with a shrouded barrel. I will not be spending £30 on the Napier kit. The one I have is too thick to fit down a straw. David.
FTP 900
64 MPR

no avatar
billywhizz

Re: Cleaning

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:29 pm

i use roll up filter tips in my 510, a drop of cleaner on a tip roll it a little with finger tips then put into the breech and shoot it out, a couple of those then do 2-3 dry ones too make sure its clean and dry. 60p a box !.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 pm

For a pull thru use 30lb fishing line or orange brick line.
Buy the Napier Power spray and the Napier patches (2 patches for .177 and 3 for .22) for a lot less than the kit.

Shrouded or moderated barrels will need a feeder tube. I use a section of telescopic aerial down the barrel extension. Mine is open ended so I can fit a collar. Remove it before pulling. I dont bother with a straw as I will only clean mine once or twice in its lifetime.

Follow the Napier video on Youtube. Ensure the rifle is upside down to avoid oil going down the transfer port.

Barrels only need cleaning when brand new or after oiled winter storage.
Apart from that... I cant think of a good reason to ever clean an airgun barrel!

no avatar
supergnome

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Many thanks for the information. Think I will leave it un-cleaned. David.
FTP 900
64 MPR

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

If there is one contentious issue with airguns it's probably whether or not to clean barrels!

Raj

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm

To clean ..... or not to clean. That is the question :twisted:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Mr. C

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:01 pm

OK that's not really helpful. Have an MPR FT and previous owner cleaned every 100 or so pellets. Other users say don't bother. So I look up on the AA owners forum and........ I'm non the wiser still.
Ive put about 400 pellets down it and got 1 or 2 fliers this evening.
Still a bit confused as "apparently" aa recommend a regular barrel clean but excess fluid and oil in the port was my main concern.

Blackbaronfish

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 am

Give you barrel a good clean. With the intended pellets you want to use lead the barrel back up. Once your pellets are hitting where they should be count your pellets until accuracy drops of. You can now give it one or two pull throughs with a dry patch.
You can carry on doing this as you have found what your combo requires. I don’t use any fluid in an air gun.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:12 am

Every 100 pellets? strange number to choose when they come in tins of 500! I have heard people recommend every 2 tins but for me every 1000 is too much cleaning.
And as BBF says when you have cleaned it you need to shoot quite a few to re-lead and recondition the barrel.
I shoot indoors and cleaned out the manufacturing oil when new and havent touched in since (15 months 4000 pellets) and probably never will. The club guns that live in the outhouse get a pull through every winter. To be honest its more impirtant to give the outside a wipe with ballistol as I'm fed up with re-blueing the cocking levers.
The most important point about the Napier video I suggested that applies to most PCP guns is IF you do use any cleaning fluid make sure the transfer port faces up. With AA rifles thst means holding them upside down and leaving them that way til cleaning finished and an empty shot fired.

no avatar
Mr. C

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 am

Cheers for the replies, will dry pull it through and see how we go.