Chinese high pressure compressors

Re: Chinese high pressure compressors

Postby AA_Fanatic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 pm

rhogg4696 wrote:May I have the links to the videos you mention, thanks.

Normally it is easy to find on youtube but in this case nothing is showing for the Ace Eagle pump.

Rob.

Hey Rob,

So the actual pump I originally stumbled on was a 'Yong Heng' compressor. As with all Chinese products, they are very incestuous and I think the core parts are probably only manufactured by a few places and then assembled and distributed to places all over China and are cloned and rebranded infinitum.

So - this link is of this crazy German dude ( who builds his own airgun 'contraptions') and is quite amusing - he did a full review of the 'Yong Heng' pump that he got off Ali Express - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdnItyJs-U&t=884s

We got talking on the comments section and he agreed with me that the core components of all of these similar looking pumps probably come from the same factory - who can say if they are assembled properly....etc (which is why I will strip mine down to have a good butchers in it and make sure it's all tight....etc).

I have never transacted on Ali Express - check out the link on the guy's youtube ( you will see all kinds of variations of this type of pump as well !)

My comfort is with Ebay and Paypal protection...etc. The Yong Heng pumps on Ebay and Amazon were out of my budget (£300 - £400 plus) and then I found the Aceeagle one on Ebay which looks identical save for the cylinder head....but was the sort of money I was willing to part with on a punt...

Happy to let you have the ebay link if you wish
''You can't fight in here....this is the war room...'' Dr Strangelove.

S400 Classic, Custom 'Geordie Stocks' walnut thumbhole stock, Hawke Airmax SF30.
AA_Fanatic

Postby rhogg4696 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am

From my observations, correct me if I am wrong, the main difference between the Yong Heng and the AceEagle is where the condensation trap is. On the Yong Heng it is situated between the first stage compression and the second. On the AceEagle the trap is after the second and final compression.

Moisture is a major problem with our air gun's cylinders or so they say. I have always used a Hill's pump with the moisture dry-pac system and after six and a half years when I gave my gun a full service there was no evidence of corrosion in the cylinder, great.

The video identified a serious shortcoming in the design of the piston and that is the bigend on the conrod had no bearing shells, just the aluminum conrod seated on a much harder steel shaft. Aluminum is a very soft material so I can't see this lasting too long. If I was to consider buying one of these units I would like to know that I could buy replacement conrods easily. The second stage piston is not oiled so is another area of concern. The video didn't show how this was sealed. I know nothing about these things so what do I know? I had a Honda motorcycle years ago where the overhead camshaft sat in the alloy cover with no hard metal bearing and that lasted barely 5,000 miles.

I hope you get a lot of use out of your new pump and please keep us all posted on it's performance and your experience with it.

Rob.
rhogg4696

Postby Blackbaronfish » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:46 pm

I don’t think you would clock up many hours on it.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended every annual meet since we started
Blackbaronfish
Super Admin

Postby TenMetrePeter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 pm

It has a lifetime guarantee. If it goes wrong it kills you.
S400 MPR Precision 10m.
Green Belt in Ludo
My Youtube
TenMetrePeter

Postby AA_Fanatic » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:16 am

I did notice the lack of bearings on the big end of the con rod - which was a concern but given that it will be bathed in oil, it probably won't go eliptical (or pear shaped!) too soon. I am guessing that spares for these are dirt cheap and plentiful.

I may also consider a secondary inline moisture trap / filter.

Used every day all day - yes - probably in a month or 2 she'd let out the blue smoke monster. I plan to only top up my 4.5l tank once a month - I think I would only run that pump for about half an hour - 45 mins each time.

According to FedEx, it should be arriving today so I will get it apart and take some pics.

S400 Classic, Custom 'Geordie Stocks' walnut thumbhole stock, Hawke Airmax SF30.
AA_Fanatic

Postby Mason » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 am

Does the price include the dreaded import duty plus admin fees?
Mason

Postby AA_Fanatic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 am

Mason wrote:Does the price include the dreaded import duty plus admin fees?

No - it doesn't. I was expecting delivery today but it looks like it will only be Monday now so can't report just yet what those fees will be.

Without asking - the supplier in China mentioned that they had, 'put lower the value $ for a customs function'. It had already been shipped.

Import duty should be no more than 6% of the value of the goods (according to HMRC's website) and VAT is the usual 20%

AA_Fanatic

Postby AA_Fanatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Update:

The pump arrived yesterday (6th Nov) pm, delivered by Fedex. I ordered the pump on the 24th Oct. I happened to have a day off from work today so that was lucky.

Box was quite well taped up but it soon appeared that the polystrene inner packaging was buggered and there were fragments of tiny white polystyrene particles everywhere inside the box. Once this stuff gets into your house, it's almost as difficult as a radio active isotope, to get rid of!

The pump itself was wrapped in a cling wrap type wrapping and there was oil all over the place. There was a residual bit of oil in the sump from testing and the temporary stopper covering the sump plug had come loose during transit. So there were bits of white debris stuck to the pump....and a few fragments found their way into the sump.

I also discovered that one of the steel pressure pipes were slightly bent. Must have been when they were throwing the box on to the tarmac at each Fedex hub...

So I wasn't impressed. I notified the seller in China land and I got an almost immediate response saying that they will, 'shout at Fedex for this'. I was asked to please accept their apology and to add the oil and test the pump. If the bent pipe proved to be leaking, they would send out replacements to me and indeed if anything else was amiss, it would be rectified.

There's a QR code on the Chinglish instruction packing slip that takes you to the Chinese version of YouTube called 'Youku'. The Chinese gov blocks normal Youtube access. So there's a basic vid on how to hook it all up, but it's dead simple really.

I cleaned up the exterior of the pump and took the crank case cover off. As expected, the conrod is aluminium with both ends directly contacting their respective surfaces without any bearings or bushes. The cylinder appeared to mirror smooth. It looks a bit crusty inside, but not as bad as I thought. All the wearing surfaces appear to be reasonably well machined and I didn't detect any play in the big end and crankshaft. So - these semi rough arsed components should be easily replaceable and cheap.

I gave it a good clean inside and reassembled. I didn't want to remove the cylinder and head, etc as that would mean removing the high pressure connecting steel tubes on the sides and I didn't feel like tempting fate.
I left it alone.

So I got a trug filled with water as you get a separate little water pump which circulates through the water jacket around the head cylinder and tested that - all working as it should. I checked the high pressure filters inside the airline and they were clean and dry. You get a UK version power cord which must be specified at time of order.

The temp gauge is powered by two little button cells, which annoyingly can't be switched off so I just turn one of them around in the battery housing when not in use to stop it going flat. It read 12deg c with the water circulating.

I fired it up and let her run for a minute before putting it under load, to get all the oil splashed around inside properly.

I then connected it (you get a standard 1/8th inch quick release connection on the end of the filter cannister) to my 4.5l bottle. The pressure in my bottle had dipped to about 160bar, so this was a top up.

Like a numpty, I forgot to take a pic of my air bottle guage at this pressure when I started. So it chugged away....loud enough to have to raise your voice quite a bit to talk to someone next to you but nothing too bad to annoy the neighbours, I wouldn't have thought.

The pressure guage didn't really move, infact it looked like it was losing pressure! So there was leak. In hindsight - I should have ptfe taped (white plumbers tape) every threaded joint i could find as none of them are sealed like this, before starting. But after some joints were taped and tightened, I fired it up again and waited....and waited and then saw my bottle's needle move in the right direction.

I ended up topping off my bottle where it's now about 280 bar. It took about half an hour to do that and the temp got to about 57 deg. They say anything over 70 deg, you must stop and change the water or let her cool down. I had a very large yellow trug filled with water. In the summer, I guess you could lob in some blue ice bricks and you should be fine.

So - really pleased so far. I opened the filter cannister and the element was still pristine and dry. It's a very high density super absorbant pure cotton ....err....tampon looking thing. You get a pack of 10 of them and they can be reordered and are cheap enough. Incedntally, I have ordered another, separate filter cannister with spare elements so i will have 2 filters on my air line. I am also waiting on a new 1m quality airline from best fittings so any leaks that might be present with my fine grade 'Chinesium' one, should be eliminated. I've attached some pics which I hope will give you some idea. I had thought of a video but couldn't be arsed in the end!!

So - the pump cost £170 and shipping via Fedex was £59. I am yet to be invoiced for any customs charges, if at all. I'll update everyone as and when on those costs.

So - really pleased so far. Thrilled to bits that my bottle is topped up and a great feeling knowing I don't have to bugger about with dive shops etc. Time will tell I guess but I am glad I took a risk - seems like she'll be alright with occasional use.
Attachments
pump 1.jpg
pump 1.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 134 times
pump box1.jpg
pump box1.jpg (92.65 KiB) Viewed 134 times
pump box.jpg
pump box.jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 134 times

AA_Fanatic

Postby AA_Fanatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53 pm

more pics
Attachments
pump 6.jpg
pump 6.jpg (161.67 KiB) Viewed 133 times
pump 4.jpg
pump 4.jpg (148.74 KiB) Viewed 133 times
pump 3.jpg
pump 3.jpg (117.41 KiB) Viewed 133 times

AA_Fanatic

Postby AA_Fanatic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm

yet more pics
Attachments
pump 8.jpg
pump 8.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 133 times
pump 7.jpg
pump 7.jpg (76.62 KiB) Viewed 133 times
pump 5.jpg
pump 5.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 133 times

AA_Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to TECHNICAL