tuning your POI on a night vision scope

darran77

tuning your POI on a night vision scope

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 pm

This is one for the dedicated night vision scope users, particualy the photon type and others.
One of the problems i encounter is getting the zero right as the mag is not the best and unless i have someone with me as a spotter then it's up and down checking the point of impact, and ajusting the scope to get it right , which can take a lot of time.
But a thought came into my head the other evening (yes i do get them every now and again), whilst checking to see in the post was up outside the garage i noticed how the reflective tape was illuminated in the street lights, and as i had some left i thought how traffic cones on one of my perm's light up well could i use the tape as a target marker. Not wanting to put a full strip on a board i fed a bit through the paper punch and stuck the little self adhesive discs to a board and tried them out, and they worked.
Not only could i see the target at my 36 yard range on low IR, i knew if i was spot on i would destroy the little discs even with a .177 pellet thus showing me i was on target, i could also stick them onto spinners. I also tried the target boards out past 60 yards and had no problem seeing them, ok hitting them was a different matter. I have some photos and a couple of short video clips through the photon but will have to post them later as my card reader has broken and a new one has only just been ordered.
As for the reflective tape i bought mine from my local cycle shop a few years ago in red,amber and white , and all three light up well.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
Roger5

Re: tuning your POI on a night vision scope

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:04 am

Hi Darren, was doing this myself last night, I use a very small dot of reflective tape as well, works fine. I also make the objective smaller i.e. About 20mm, this makes it easier to focus the photon, and I use a pulsar-940 IR which is an improvement on the fitted IR. Rog

darran77

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Roger5 wrote:Hi Darren, was doing this myself last night, I use a very small dot of reflective tape as well, works fine. I also make the objective smaller i.e. About 20mm, this makes it easier to focus the photon, and I use a pulsar-940 IR which is an improvement on the fitted IR. Rog

Thats one thing i have not fiddled with yet , the end cap (objective), i find without the one supplied its blury even in the dark.
I did read something that "some bloke(Marky Mark)" wrote about the photon and changing the end caps, but it lost me .
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm

darran77 wrote:
Roger5 wrote:Hi Darren, was doing this myself last night, I use a very small dot of reflective tape as well, works fine. I also make the objective smaller i.e. About 20mm, this makes it easier to focus the photon, and I use a pulsar-940 IR which is an improvement on the fitted IR. Rog

Thats one thing i have not fiddled with yet , the end cap (objective), i find without the one supplied its blury even in the dark.
I did read something that "some bloke(Marky Mark)" wrote about the photon and changing the end caps, but it lost me .
daz

I just cut a 20mm hole in a circle of cardboard and fit it over the objective lens, the other way is to cut a 20mm hole in the end cap, so much easier to focus, I only shoot out to a max of 50yds if conditions are ok, so no problem, try it, bit of cardboard is pretty cheap, I might uprate to a bit of plastic one day :D Rog

darran77

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Roger5 wrote:
darran77 wrote:

daz

I just cut a 20mm hole in a circle of cardboard and fit it over the objective lens, the other way is to cut a 20mm hole in the end cap, so much easier to focus, I only shoot out to a max of 50yds if conditions are ok, so no problem, try it, bit of cardboard is pretty cheap, I might uprate to a bit of plastic one day :D Rog

Cheers Roger5, i will give that a try.
In the mean time i finally managed to get the video uploaded onto the tube, i cant put the link up here as it also has footage of a bunny been dispatched,
but i will post it in the hunting section.
daz
IFAC member