A better transfer port seal

no avatar
Archer50

A better transfer port seal

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Another 'discovery' that everyone else probably knows about already - you can use a standard M4 nylon washer as a replacement for the sub-12 S400/500 transfer port seal.

They are a nominal 9mm OD which is minutely too big, but it only took a couple of minutes with a nailfile to resize to a push fit into the upper machined seating and then I had a transfer port seal for my HFT500 that doesn't move when I take the gun apart or put it together, and should last for ever - unlike the original 6x1 o-ring. There is no trace of air blast with the tissue paper test, so although I'm not going to take my S400 apart specially, I will definitely do the same next time I'm in there.

Hope this helps.

Alan

no avatar
Roger5

Re: A better transfer port seal

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Interesting, am surprised that they seal like an o-ring, being non flexible, might give it a go next time i strip a rifle. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 pm

What thickness was it?

no avatar
Archer50

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:What thickness was it?

It is an 'off the shelf' A-form M4 nylon washer from Kay's Fastenings via the Bay. It is about 0.7mm thickness. The DIN standard is 0.8 mm, but the difference may simply be down to my calipers - which aren't the best.

As far as I know, the transfer port seals for FAC versions of the 400/500's are nylon washers, not o-rings. I tried one from Julian, but it was substantially too big a diameter, and also too thick (which would have been more difficult to deal with). That's why I risked the princely sum of £1.19 for 10 standard washers. It seems to have worked, although as with every experiment, only time will tell.

Alan