Ultimate Sporter binding trigger sears

no avatar
trick cyclist

Ultimate Sporter binding trigger sears

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Been shooting my secondhand .22 Sporter for a while now, and have never been too impressed with its accuracy, so decided to give it some attention. One thing I noticed is that the trigger feels a bit 'dull', and taking the action out of the stock, noticed some small dents in the trigger, near where the cover plate is. Also noticed that one screw holding the side plate on had Loctite on it and the other was loose, which seemed unusual. Removed the sideplate, and I'm used to AA sears having the rubber washers, but there are none in this version. After a clean up I noticed the plate looked to have been slightly bent out, in the area corresponding with the marks on the trigger. After a clean up and regrease with moly, I checked the operation of the sears, and all seemed fine, then put the sideplate back on without screws, again the sears work fine; finally put the screws back in and snugged them down, now the trigger and sears are binding! Once the screws are loosened all is fine.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem with the newer trigger units with no rubber washers or crinkle washers? Will I need to buy a whole new trigger housing to sort it? Thanks for any advice.

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Ultimate Sporter binding trigger sears

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Sounds like might need a new cover plate, I wouldn't do screws on plate to tight either, and i never use any lube on the sears, hope that helps. As Regards accuracy, a pull through helps now again, I use AADF 5.52 in mine, it's also good with there Diablo Hunters. Rog

Blackbaronfish

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:38 pm

If you have no crinkles washers or doughnuts,you will find there are built in spacers on the plate.
Try and get the plate as flat as possible to prevent the binding.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
trick cyclist

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks guys, I did wonder about the lube, but as it is a sporting trigger, went with a touch of moly paste on the sliding surfaces.

Have not checked how flat or otherwise the plate is yet, that is the next port of call. No crinkles or 'donuts' in this one.

I'm also installing a Robert Lane regulator in it, along with his anti-bounce hammer, but not at the same time, as I want to see the effect of each. Will do updates in another thread.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:27 am

i made a little video of the insides of a modern three sear trigger unit. It has the plate with built in spacers which presumably can be reduced by lightly rubbing on abrasive paper on a flat surface. If the sear spring pivot screw (top right) unscrews slightly it it possible to distort the plate by tightening the screws, but more likely to bow it out not in. Make sure the spring screw is screwed in finger tight then backed off a quarter turn. It will unscrew itself naturally til it contacts the cover plate after fitting.
Moly grease is recommended by AA but any airgun oil is fine if regularly done. I replaced the short slotted screws with longer allen screws and no loctite. The holes are tapped right thru on this one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ge3cfq1AOQ

no avatar
Roger5

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:32 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:i made a little video of the insides of a modern three sear trigger unit. It has the plate with built in spacers which presumably can be reduced by lightly rubbing on abrasive paper on a flat surface. If the sear spring pivot screw (top right) unscrews slightly it it possible to distort the plate by tightening the screws, but more likely to bow it out not in. Make sure the spring screw is screwed in finger tight then backed off a quarter turn. It will unscrew itself naturally til it contacts the cover plate after fitting.
Moly grease is recommended by AA but any airgun oil is fine if regularly done. I replaced the short slotted screws with longer allen screws and no loctite. The holes are tapped right thru on this one.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ge3cfq1AOQ

I hate to say this, I would never clean an A/A trigger as this video suggests, just take the sears out and clean them, spraying with lighter fluid is a bit over the top in my opinion, and go easy on the lube, that much is not needed, you will just attract dirt and muck, sorry if I offend or upset, but that's not the way to do it. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 pm

No offence taken. I took advice from someone else on this forum to use a degreaser and then flood it with Napier oil. My gun is only used indoors and I need a hair trigger. Grease can make a hair trigger unpredictable. The Napier is mostly propellant and it thins out to a lighter film than the video suggests.

no avatar
Jezzer

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:04 pm

IMHO the trigger on my Ultimate Sporter was terribly, first stage take up was fine but as soon as the second stage comes into play the extra pressure needed to disengage the sear is really hard. Fitting a lighter spring didn't help either. On close examination of the workings I could see the problem straight away, once the first stage is taken up and the second stage comes into play the rear grub screw is too close to where the sear pivots so needing extra force to move it. There is a simple fix that I can recommend, back off the rear grub screw so it's slightly under flush and can't do anything, then screw the front grub in a bit. You can then make fine adjustments to the screw that takes up trigger slack, you have to remove the trigger spring to do this. It's a bit of a fiddle but you end up with a really nice single stage trigger. In the end I made a complete new trigger with only one grub screw and positioned it in the middle of where the original two were. I've now got a brilliant, light single stage trigger and everyone that's shot it has commented how good it is.
Jez.

no avatar
trick cyclist

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:14 am

TenMetrePeter wrote:No offence taken. I took advice from someone else on this forum to use a degreaser and then flood it with Napier oil. My gun is only used indoors and I need a hair trigger. Grease can make a hair trigger unpredictable. The Napier is mostly propellant and it thins out to a lighter film than the video suggests.

I did watch your trigger video a while ago Peter, and found it very useful as an overview of the sear layout, so thanks. Though I'm relatively new at taking air weapons apart, I am mechanically sympathetic, so just need a few pointers now and then. I have since spoken to Air Arms on the subject, as I thought my trigger (which is a common component across their range) might be out of tolerance and too thick, but it seems it is not the case. What was interesting though is the gap between the plates is measurably narrower on these newer triggers than the trigger itself - go figure!

Incidentally, my cover plate was bowed, but it was outwards, where it had been levered. Not sure what to make of it, but for now have refitted it loose enough to allow the trigger to function normally, and I will probably take it to AA on a little 'trip' in the near future.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:48 am

trick cyclist if the plate has the moulded-in spacers like mine you should be able to reduce them in height on some abrasive paper on the flat bench or a file. If its bent though I might get a new one or have AA fix it if it is newish.
If its a plain plate you could shim the plate out with strips coke can so you tighten the screws properly.
Jezzer the whole point of stage 2 is that it should take extra effort to trip it but it should only engage just before stage 1 would otherwise trip it. See the adjust instructions in the video or at Rowan Engineering where I pinched it.
Single stage trigger is great and often preferred in target weapons however shortening the first stage using the front stop adjust may have the resting position too near trigger point and may fail a bump test.