Removing Broken Baffles - S510

no avatar
phillipbradshaw

Removing Broken Baffles - S510

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:24 pm

First of all thanks for adding me to the users list; I use rifles, air-rifles and shotguns both for target shooting and some hunting.

I'd like to push my luck by asking a question right off the bat please. Just behind the male / female threaded insert on my S510 shrouded barrel is a stack of plastic doughnuts forming the baffles; these have chipped on mine presumably due to a double loading / discharge problem, dirt hit by a pellet or whatever. Question is how do I get them out to change them (I am an ex-engineer and it should be within my capabilities if I can be pointed in the right direction even if most of my engineering is usually undertaken with a big hammer)? It looks as if the female part of the threaded insert is bonded in place so logic tells me to unscrew the shroud and poke the stack down to the breech end with a dowel or similar. Is this the right way to do it or should I take the female insert out somehow? Thanks for your patience reading this far!

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Removing Broken Baffles - S510

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Phil, is this a carbine or a classic ie long air cylinder. Rog

no avatar
phillipbradshaw

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Carbine; I've seen the really useful post from Kev Todd in August but it only mentions the shroud in the matter of how to unscrew it which is great but doesn't cover the matter of getting these dratted baffles our.

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:37 pm

I would take the shroud off, heat sometimes required to break loctite, if the barrel is longer than the cylinder you could do what I did, I dumped the shroud completely, had a barrel band made and fitted a proper moderator to it, send me your email address and I will send you pictures of it. Just realised you probably can't do this, as A/Arms idea of a carbine changed and your cylinder could be longer than your barrel, your option then would be to change cylinder to a proper sized carbine. Rog

no avatar
phillipbradshaw

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 am

Understood - I can see to get the barrel off easily enough but the question really boils down to whether the female insert can be removed to get to the doughnuts or whether, once the barrel is off is it easier to push the baffles down and out the breech end?