dodgy moderator

no avatar
steveallot9

dodgy moderator

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:53 pm

hi guys,bought an air arms 510sl carbine second hand at what i thought was a good price.the guy i bought it off assured me it hadnt been tampered with.took the rifle to a shooting range near where i live put about 50 pellets through it and it was empty,went for another fill,50 pellets empty again.spoke to the guy who was filling the rifle he examined the rifle and he told me it had been tampered with,he put the rifle on his chrono and it came out at 19lbs.so it was straight to the gunsmiths near me who sent it off to air arms for adjustment and service.got rifle back happy as larry.went back to the shooting range fitted the qtec moderator which i bought with the rifle and the pellets were going all over tried zeroing the sights which made no difference even asked the guy shooting next to me if he could help,no joy.took the moderator off and hey presto really tight groupings ive been using air arms field diablo .22 pellets.as soon as i put the qtec moderator back on it just fires where it wants|has anybody got any idea whats wrong or am i overlooking something? my scopes are hawke 3x9x40 with sportsmach mounts which i bought new

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: dodgy moderator

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:21 pm

obvious question. is it a .22 moderator?
do you have a straight 4mm plastic rod to put down the barrel to see how it runs thru the moderator exit hole?

Raj

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Crikey ... There I was ... reading the title of the post ... thinking all my secrets were finally out and a newbie was complaining about me :oops: :oops: :oops: :twisted:
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Qtec has calibre stamped on it, is your S510 shroud longer than the barrel, and does the Qtec screw into shroud or fit onto barrel, I returned a Qtec to A/A that was causing a problem and they replaced it. Rog

no avatar
steveallot9

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Yes the shroud is longer than the barrel and it has air arms q Tec 2.2 stamped on the end of the moderator

no avatar
steveallot9

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:11 pm

yes tenmetrepeter it is a air arms q Tec moderator 2.2 stamped on the tip tried your trick with the dowelling down the end and is ok

gdavison

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:50 pm

:D :D
Raj wrote:Crikey ... There I was ... reading the title of the post ... thinking all my secrets were finally out and a newbie was complaining about me :oops: :oops: :oops: :twisted:
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
woody2906

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Presumably you can dismantle the silencer and if it is clipping the pellet you will find little bits of silvery particles inside on the felt liner and grey streaks on the exit hole.
Silencer clipping is quite common, on both pcps I've owned, a webley axsor and AA s410 both had problems with silencers, unfortunately the weak link is the adapter coupled with the sloppy tolerances of the threads involved.

Three adapters tried and drilling out the silencer to 8mm solved the axsor clipping. Returning the 410 to Air Arms for a new barell because the bore was offset luckily it was under warranty.

Check that the adapter and silencer are running true by spinning in an electric drill also double check the shroud is correctly installed-- these are some of the areas to consider.

no avatar
steveallot9

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:52 pm

I will give that a try, because it's driving me round the bend.like I said before without the moderator it shoots perfect.cheers woody