S400F Problems And Barrel Removal

no avatar
retroruss

S400F Problems And Barrel Removal

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello new member just getting back into air guns after a 12 year break.
i recently picked up a new s400f 177 classic and disappointingly I’ve had a few problems with it .
first was the breech bolts coming loose after about 50 pellets possibly due to the breech seal not been fitted correctly and the transfer port grub screw been loose causing power fluctuations
the latest problem is when shooting there’s a small air leak from where the barrel goes into the breech where the rosebud barrel sleeve is .

my questions are
what’s the best way to remove the barrel so i can find out why its leaking ?
i know about the 2 grub screws on top and i think I've seen a 3rd underneath ?
how is the brass part with the transfer port and barrel joined ?
also are there any other problems i may encounter in the future that i can check for while sorting this latest issue ?

Cheers Russ

no avatar
Roger5

Re: S400F Problems And Barrel Removal

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi Russ, when you say new, is that you bought it from new, or just new to you?. Rog

no avatar
retroruss

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Rog

bought new in December the manufacture date is on the cylinder is September 16 i know your going to ask me why i didn’t return it to the shop etc .
i was really miffed at the time and could only see me having hassle returning it , sending it back to air arms etc as id spent time oiling the walnut stock and you could argue it wasn’t in as bought condition.
i knew what needed doing to put the problems right so chose to do the repairs myself . i had an s400 classic 12 years back also bought new and it was the best pcp I’ve owned
I regretted selling it so that’s why i went for another one .it shoots well and when its working its great but its not the rifle i had years ago , hopefully i can get it sorted.

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Undo the two grub screws on top of breech block, as you say there is a third one underneath, Mark the barrel before you take it out so as not to misalign when it goes back, sometimes the seal holder comes out with the barrel, if not take care and push out from probe side. Rog

no avatar
retroruss

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 pm

cheers Rog any ideas why it would develop a leak there ?

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 am

Not really, it seems that some do and others don't, none of mine leak there, I would make sure the top two grub screw are tightened down before the bottom one is done up, I have heard others members have been using Ptfe tape to solve the problem. Rog

no avatar
retroruss

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks Rog. I'll let you know what I find. Russ

no avatar
Archer50

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:36 pm

I know its not the same gun, but it sounds remarkably like the problem I with my HFT500: viewtopic.php?t=3257

Several thousands of shots later the 'temporary' fix with plumbers tape is still 100% successful and looks like its permanent now - if you can't find any fixable cause for the leak, you might want to try the same.

Cheers

Alan

no avatar
retroruss

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Alan

thanks for the link and tip about the ptfe tape it sounds like we have the same issue i haven’t took the barrel out yet to have a look as ive lost interest with the rifle at the moment .i have various sealants at work and have one in mind called wellseal that i thought i'd try, its a jointing compound that works on metal to metal joints.
I'll let you know how that works out if i do use that method.

i'm not that impressed with the build quality and tolerances on my 400 the barrel to breech fit is obviously not right and the qtec silencer i bought new is also a bigger tolerance than I’d be happy with if i worked at air arms. I don’t think ill be happy until the gun has been fully stripped , checked and rebuilt because its quiet worrying when you think I’m filling it with compressed air and holding it to my cheek after going on how the rest of the rifle has performed (things working loose etc) if there is any issues with the cylinder or components that have also been missed on the Q C inspection i dread to think.

talking to people and owners at various gun shops and air gun ranges more than a few people have had problems with air arms rifles and it sounds like air arms are happy to bury there heads in the sand when people have returned faulty rifles hence me not bothering going down that road .

I was a big air arms fan boy and really wanted to own another tx200 and also add a ftp900 to my collection, but im going to have to rethink my wish list.

Russ

Blackbaronfish

Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:02 pm

Report your findings to Air Arms by quoting your serial number. I'm sure they would be more than happy to listen.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started