S400F Problems And Barrel Removal

Blackbaronfish

Re: S400F Problems And Barrel Removal

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:03 pm

They will see who built it :o

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:31 pm

4 months old and the barrel joint leaks? Surely that needs AA to fix it for free on warranty. Not fit for purpose.

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:51 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:4 months old and the barrel joint leaks? Surely that needs AA to fix it for free on warranty. Not fit for purpose.

Russ, get this back to the dealer who sold it to you, and he should send it back to A/A, sounds like a Friday job to me, am sure they will sort you out, let us know how you get on. Rog

no avatar
retroruss

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Roger5 wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:4 months old and the barrel joint leaks? Surely that needs AA to fix it for free on warranty. Not fit for purpose.

Russ, get this back to the dealer who sold it to you, and he should send it back to A/A, sounds like a Friday job to me, am sure they will sort you out, let us know how you get on. Rog

bought in dec 16

i think that door slammed shut as soon as i removed the anti tamper to tighten the breech bolts back up. which are steel now days not alloy like in the youtube videos. the ones in mine were very tight i drilled and taped them (m5 i think) and the pulled them out .

i did go back to the shop i bought it from as i wanted to order a tx200 in walnut and explained what had happened, the guy said he'd never seen anything like that happen with any 400...." i explain again in a little more detail and mentioned a well known person in the air gun world had witnessed this happen after firing around 50 pellets he replied again "never had anything like that happen with any 400...."long pause .....subject changed. maybe the guy knew it was a waste of time contacting air arms as the 2 anti tampers had been removed (warranty void) and i did also tell him I'd sorted it out and it wasn’t that big a problem which at that time that was the only fault I'd had. i don’t blame the shop in any way they didn’t build it and if people are taking guns apart then bringing them back with problems you get the picture.

so the next thing was after running half a tin of air arms diablos though it i got some jsbs from my club they shot a lot better around a full mill dot higher on 12 mag at 55 yards

i ran them though the chrono the results were aa fields 740's jsb's 790 i thought it was a little too hot but thought i'd run a few more pellets through it i bought a pellet gauge and found the aa's were 4.49 the jsb's 4.52 i bought 3 more different batches of jsb's in 4.52 and checked them for size batch 1 = 4.50 2 = 4.51 3 = 4.54 the 4.52's seem to suit the barrel best so i bought 16 tins of the same batch die etc happy days.

another chrono test of all the different pellets i had and the true 8.44 gr 4.52's were the highest fps but now we are way too high on fps.

reading up on the subject the transfer port grub screw coming loose is a common problem so out comes the anti tamper shear bolt covering the port now also steel and now it must take more effort to shear than the old alloy ones because on removal and inspection it has a good old chew on the delicate threads just before it shears.

I found the adjuster grub screw was loose the thread lock wasn’t doing anything so i used a second grub screw to gently lock against the adjusting screw problem 2 solved and now running at 777fps sorted

so yes now i have the leak to sort out which I’m sure i can do I’ve tackle much worst in my time.

i never intended to bore you with this story or have a dig at air arms i just wanted some advise or heads up on the correct way to remove the barrel :oops:

thanks for your concern and help guys i will keep you posted

Russ

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 pm

No worries mate, just pleased to know you are winning with it, they are a great little rifle, you don't usually get any real problems with them, all mine like AADF 4.52 and JSBs are not as accurate, but that's just mine, good luck with it in the future. Rog