Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby gdavison » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Went to clean the barrel on my Ultimate Sporter and as with my S510 superlight I first took the moderator off to get the pull thru down through the moderator, but off course on the superlight its a simple unscrew from the shroud and with the Ultimate Sporter its a undo grub screw and then realise the moderator is part of the "support" to the barrel .. As such after the clean and refit of the moderator I needed to re-zero again as it was a little out

Got me wondering if I could feed the pull thru without removing the moderator, tried the straw trick as used on S510's however could not find one small enough to go down the .177 Moderator on the ultimate sporter ..

Simple Q .. how do other folk clean the barrel on their Ultimate Sporter
AA FTP900 - Falcon T50 10-50 * 60
AA S510 Ultimate Sporter RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 4-16*50
AA S510 RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 10*42 1/2 MilDot  - ACZ Stock
AA S510 30 Year Anniversary .22 - Hawke Panoramic 4-12*40
gdavison
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:43 am
Location: Baughurst

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby Roger5 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

VFG quick cleaning pellets. Rog
Roger5
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:04 am
Location: Hampton, Middlesex

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby gdavison » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:29 am

Roger5 wrote:VFG quick cleaning pellets. Rog


Great suggestion - TY
AA FTP900 - Falcon T50 10-50 * 60
AA S510 Ultimate Sporter RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 4-16*50
AA S510 RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 10*42 1/2 MilDot  - ACZ Stock
AA S510 30 Year Anniversary .22 - Hawke Panoramic 4-12*40
gdavison
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:43 am
Location: Baughurst

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby gdavison » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Roger5 wrote:VFG quick cleaning pellets. Rog


Am reading lots of mixed reviews on VFG quick cleaning pellets vs say a Napier Pull Thru .. any real experiences from here versus the two methods ?
AA FTP900 - Falcon T50 10-50 * 60
AA S510 Ultimate Sporter RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 4-16*50
AA S510 RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 10*42 1/2 MilDot  - ACZ Stock
AA S510 30 Year Anniversary .22 - Hawke Panoramic 4-12*40
gdavison
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:43 am
Location: Baughurst

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby Roger5 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 pm

gdavison wrote:
Roger5 wrote:VFG quick cleaning pellets. Rog


Am reading lots of mixed reviews on VFG quick cleaning pellets vs say a Napier Pull Thru .. any real experiences from here versus the two methods ?

VFGs are ok, I sometimes use them two together, I have seen the Napier pull thru snap in the barrel, bugger to get the patches out, And you can put a bit of lube on a VFG aswell. Remington also do them, but not as good as VFG . Rog
Roger5
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:04 am
Location: Hampton, Middlesex

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby gdavison » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Roger5 wrote:
gdavison wrote:
Roger5 wrote:VFG quick cleaning pellets. Rog


Am reading lots of mixed reviews on VFG quick cleaning pellets vs say a Napier Pull Thru .. any real experiences from here versus the two methods ?

VFGs are ok, I sometimes use them two together, I have seen the Napier pull thru snap in the barrel, bugger to get the patches out, And you can put a bit of lube on a VFG aswell. Remington also do them, but not as good as VFG . Rog


Cheers Rog
AA FTP900 - Falcon T50 10-50 * 60
AA S510 Ultimate Sporter RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 4-16*50
AA S510 RatWorks Tuned - Hawke SW 10*42 1/2 MilDot  - ACZ Stock
AA S510 30 Year Anniversary .22 - Hawke Panoramic 4-12*40
gdavison
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:43 am
Location: Baughurst

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby Jezzer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 am

gdavison wrote:Went to clean the barrel on my Ultimate Sporter and as with my S510 superlight I first took the moderator off to get the pull thru down through the moderator, but off course on the superlight its a simple unscrew from the shroud and with the Ultimate Sporter its a undo grub screw and then realise the moderator is part of the "support" to the barrel .. As such after the clean and refit of the moderator I needed to re-zero again as it was a little out

Got me wondering if I could feed the pull thru without removing the moderator, tried the straw trick as used on S510's however could not find one small enough to go down the .177 Moderator on the ultimate sporter ..

Simple Q .. how do other folk clean the barrel on their Ultimate Sporter


I also have an Ultimate Sporter and have the exact same problem every time I remove and replace the moderator, can be up to 3/8" different. IMHO this is a poor design which has bugged me or a while now, I love the looks and feel of it and now I've got rid of the two stage trigger and is now a single stage I like it more, but the dam shroud are arrangement !!!!
So I've made the decision to pull the thing apart and rebuild it with a totally free floating 16mm diameter L/W barrel. The shroud I am replacing with a carbon fiber tube, 20mm o/d x 1mm thick. I plan to use the original moderator without the O ring so it will just be inside the shroud but not touching.
Machining starts tomorrow on the barrel. I'll take pictures and post on here if anybody's interested.
Jez.
Jezzer
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby Roger5 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:15 am

What i used to do before I dumped the shroud on my u/s was to unscrew the shroud slightly so that the shroud had no effect on barrel and mod alignment, it worked for me, I also like the idea of chunkier barrel, it has been done before, but not to my knowledge on an S510, should work ok as more room between cylinder and barrel on S510, let us know how you get on. Rog
Roger5
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:04 am
Location: Hampton, Middlesex

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby Jezzer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Rog, thanks for the reply but a don't understand how unscrewing the shroud slightly takes pressure off moderator.
My plan is the new carbon shroud will not touch the new barrel at all and will go through the original barrel band just really for cosmetic look.
Jez.
Jezzer
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Barrel Clean on Ultimate Sporter

Postby Roger5 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Jezzer wrote:Hi Rog, thanks for the reply but a don't understand how unscrewing the shroud slightly takes pressure off moderator.
My plan is the new carbon shroud will not touch the new barrel at all and will go through the original barrel band just really for cosmetic look.
Jez.

If the shroud is fully tightened, you will find that as you refit the mod it pulls the barrel to one side, if you slacken the shroud off slightly, it can't do this, as I say it works for me. Rog
Roger5
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:04 am
Location: Hampton, Middlesex


Return to TECHNICAL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest