S400 carbine new owner

no avatar
matgriff

S400 carbine new owner

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi I just bought a very good condition S400 carbine in .177. Couple of things I have noticed. It's my first PcP rifle.

I got a new 300 bar cylinder, the brass filling adaptor came with the gun. On mine there's no "pin" at the end that holds the adaptor down when filling (the bit that locks the adaptor when turned 90 degrees), it just pushes on. I have filled it and it's fine, I just held the adaptor in place as the pressure isn't trying to force it in the up direction. Is this OK ?

Also I've found that I can't mount my scope far enough back to get the correct eye relief due to the front mount being limited by the loading chamber, I'm finding I need to move my cheek really forward to get a good image. The scope is a Hawke HD 3-9 X 50. On my TX200HC I can slide the scope quite far back on the rails. What's the easiest solution to this ? It's made worse by the fact that I want to fit the Rowan 10 shot magazine which needs a bit of clearance at the front mount.

Another issue is that the trigger seems really sloppy until the rifle is cocked, then it feels OK, is this normal or does it need adjusting ?

The gun is in superb unmarked condition and looks like new. The serial number starts 05 does this mean it's manufactured in 2005 ?

Thanks

Mat

no avatar
eboswan
Site Admin

Re: S400 carbine new owner

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:14 pm

matgriff wrote:Hi I just bought a very good condition S400 carbine in .177. Couple of things I have noticed. It's my first PcP rifle.

I got a new 300 bar cylinder, the brass filling adaptor came with the gun. On mine there's no "pin" at the end that holds the adaptor down when filling (the bit that locks the adaptor when turned 90 degrees), it just pushes on. I have filled it and it's fine, I just held the adaptor in place as the pressure isn't trying to force it in the up direction. Is this OK ?yes its fine,i cut the pin of mine because it was a real tight fit and was a pain too use when filling

Also I've found that I can't mount my scope far enough back to get the correct eye relief due to the front mount being limited by the loading chamber, I'm finding I need to move my cheek really forward to get a good image. The scope is a Hawke HD 3-9 X 50. On my TX200HC I can slide the scope quite far back on the rails. What's the easiest solution to this ? It's made worse by the fact that I want to fit the Rowan 10 shot magazine which needs a bit of clearance at the front mount.

Another issue is that the trigger seems really sloppy until the rifle is cocked, then it feels OK, is this normal or does it need adjusting ?its normal

The gun is in superb unmarked condition and looks like new. The serial number starts 05 does this mean it's manufactured in 2005 ?well its a good starting point, give Sheila a ring in air arms and quote the serial number and she will give you the date of assembly.

Thanks

Mat
IS MY SIGNATURE BIGGER THAN RAYS. Cz 452 american .22+sak mod
S200. .177

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:41 pm

You will probably have to use single strap mounts, have a look at BKL257H. http://www.deben.com If these don't do the job for you, you might be looking for a different scope, I have an MTC Mambalite on mine and it's ok. Rog

no avatar
matgriff

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi, thanks for the info.

How will these mounts help ? the front mount needs to move further back towards the rear, but it's near the edge of the opening to the loading breech ?

Mat

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:15 pm

matgriff wrote:Hi, thanks for the info.

How will these mounts help ? the front mount needs to move further back towards the rear, but it's near the edge of the opening to the loading breech ?

Mat

It really depends on how much further back, single strap mounts are thinner so don't take up as much space on the scope, I don't know much about your Hawke scope, as I say I use Sportsmatch double strap work fine for me with my MTC, I don't think set back/extended mounts will help you either, especially with Rowan mag kit, I use the Rowan kit aswell. Does your scope have adjustable objective, if it does there is even less room to move it by, I really think that you will be looking for another scope. Rog
Last edited by Roger5 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Mark112

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:27 pm

matgriff wrote:Hi I just bought a very good condition S400 carbine in .177. Couple of things I have noticed. It's my first PcP rifle.

I got a new 300 bar cylinder, the brass filling adaptor came with the gun. On mine there's no "pin" at the end that holds the adaptor down when filling (the bit that locks the adaptor when turned 90 degrees), it just pushes on. I have filled it and it's fine, I just held the adaptor in place as the pressure isn't trying to force it in the up direction. Is this OK ? Yes. You don't even have to hold it in place as there should be no forces pushing it off if O-rings are ok.

Also I've found that I can't mount my scope far enough back to get the correct eye relief due to the front mount being limited by the loading chamber, I'm finding I need to move my cheek really forward to get a good image. The scope is a Hawke HD 3-9 X 50. On my TX200HC I can slide the scope quite far back on the rails. What's the easiest solution to this ? It's made worse by the fact that I want to fit the Rowan 10 shot magazine which needs a bit of clearance at the front mount. See the picture of my Hawke Sport HD 3-9 x 50 scope on my S410. Back mount is no problem at all. If you take out the little vertical scroll pin, if fitted, it may give you a little extra rear movement which could be enough,

Another issue is that the trigger seems really sloppy until the rifle is cocked, then it feels OK, is this normal or does it need adjusting ? It's normal until the rifle is cocked.

The gun is in superb unmarked condition and looks like new. The serial number starts 05 does this mean it's manufactured in 2005 ? Should have no anti-tamper making it a doddle to DIY service if need be. IIRC possibly has 6 hex bolts visible looking down on the bolt housing block.

Thanks

Mat

Hi and welcome. Good choice of first PCP.

Mark
S410C .177 Regged - MTC Viper 4-16 x 50
S410K .177 Regged - Hawke Nite-Eye 4-16 x 50 AO IR
S410K .22 - Hawke Sport HD 3-9 x 50 AO IR
Logun Mk1 .22 - AGS 3-9 x 40
Theoben Taunus .22 - Simmons 4-12 x 40 AO
BW1911R2
Walther CP99
Webley Premier .22

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi Mark, it's an S400 not an S410 no pin. Rog

no avatar
matgriff

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:36 pm

OK thanks for the info guys. I haven't used it yet, but for the moment I'll just try and get used to the scope maybe it'll be OK.

Mat

Blackbaronfish

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:06 pm

You have the mk1 of the newer style fill adapter. The brass bit didn't have a slot in it as there wasn't a t bar.
Use as your doing as it's totally safe.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
matgriff

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 am

Hi, yes OK ... I guess what confused me at first was the brass fill adaptor has the slotted hole, but on the gun part there's no T shaped pin.

Mat