Air Arms rifle for benchrest

no avatar
Pauljw18

Air Arms rifle for benchrest

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi all ,
I used to shoot benchrest years ago 1000 yrd benchrest 10 years ago , not that successfully as I was only using an AR 15 , but I did so just to prove the point it could be done .
So the question is , which Air Arms rifle would be the best for benchrest and field target shooting .
Benchrest would be 25 and 50 yards / meters .
Kind regards
Paul

no avatar
billywhizz

Re: Air Arms rifle for benchrest

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:35 pm

hi paul, I use a a/a 510 carbine for bench rest and f/t. it suits me and works well enough . what I like about the 510 is the side lever cocking sooo smooth and one finger job so no disturbing what your doing . no doubt that there will be others who will have their favorites. you need to try a few and find out what fits and suits you.whichever model you choose they are all good and will do what you want.

no avatar
Pauljw18

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi Billy ,
Thanks for the quick reply , I had thought about the 510 and the side lever as that was how My Ambi AR 15 was set up , only a bit more effort needed to chamber the next round . Out of interest what optics are You using ? I have been looking at the Sightron 10-50x60
Paul

no avatar
Roger5

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Am using S510 aswell, but mine is in ultimate sporter stock, nice and flat, the MPR is a good stock for this also, and I think that you can only use up to 12 mag for UK Bench Rest, NSRA Rules are different, I hope I have that the right way round, I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong. Rog

no avatar
billywhizz

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 pm

paul I'm using a bsa 6-18 x44 sweet , sounds weird I know but it works well for me, nsra bench rest is unlimited scope choice just rules about it being single shot , no magazines, and also how you support the rifle. f/t and hunter field target have different rules over scopes and also what you must do too shoot each is different. get involved with a club they will guide you , have fun whatever you decide.

no avatar
Pauljw18

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:17 pm

Roger , Billy ,
Thanks for that , I asked the question and You have confirmed the choice of rifle I had thought of .
I suppose I now need to research to do with benchrest as to which association I need to join .
The scope setting at certain distances I know that if it's an adjustable objective , it must be taped down at that to comply with the regulations . I had a BSA scope on an air rifle once and it was well good
Yes I have a lot to learn .
Kind regards
Paul

no avatar
Roger5

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:20 am

I am using an MTC Mambalite 4-16x44 I was using a weaver 36T but I didn't get on with it, but other members get on ok with them especially if you are doing 50mts, I only do 25yds so the MTC is fine for me. Rog

no avatar
billywhizz

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:58 pm

paul I also use a mtc 4-16 x44 mamba lite ,on my s200 which I use for lsr shooting,join a club and enjoy your shooting, you will get lots of advice and help from some good shooters.

no avatar
Pauljw18

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:16 pm

Billy and Roger ,
A quick update , I went to the local gun shop today and bought the Airarms 510 ultimate sporter , I think it should be ok for benchrest as it has a wide stock and the accessory rail underneath the stock will mount a hamster or a bigger benchrest thingy that rides on the rest .
I pick it up tomorrow , ran out of time today in the shop as had to get back to open the Pub .
Am looking forward to shooting it and there is a local air rifle club that do benchrest.
I look forward to letting You know how I get on and looking at the posts on the forum .
Kind regards
Paul

no avatar
billywhizz

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Paul, well done ,I hope you got your 510 today?, I'm sure you will enjoy it and it will give you lots of pleasure in your shooting.all the best paul.