TenMetrePeter

Re: Newbie question: Anti tamper

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:57 pm

So how does the adjuster AT plug come out? Cant find any videos or photos

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:05 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:So how does the adjuster AT plug come out? Cant find any videos or photos

Hi Peter, I use a small drill, don't go deep into it just enough so you can tap an Alan key into it, and just unscrew, once the cover is off the adjuster is another Alan screw down the hole. Rog

no avatar
what barn door

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi Peter,

As instructed by Roger, use a dremel or similar with 2mm drill, I use a piece of thin walled brass tube acting as a guard in case the drill should slip, then it can't scratch anything.

Please do bear in mind that if the AT has been removed and your gun is found to be over the legal limit through the chrono, you won't have a leg to stand on, most shooters aim for (pun intended) about 775 - 785 with 8.4gn pellets as this tends to give the best accuracy and grouping generally.

Ian

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:02 pm

we havent a leg to stand on if over 12ftlb even if the AT is there but I would bloody well take Air Arms down with me.
Anyway in my case it wouldnt apply being 6ftlb but knowing how to remove it is useful.
I have probably stuffed my warranty by now. it's pretty well pimped up now. Incidentally my bolt housing has no AT being screwed down from the top.

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:03 pm

what barn door wrote:Hi Peter,

As instructed by Roger, use a dremel or similar with 2mm drill, I use a piece of thin walled brass tube acting as a guard in case the drill should slip, then it can't scratch anything.

Please do bear in mind that if the AT has been removed and your gun is found to be over the legal limit through the chrono, you won't have a leg to stand on, most shooters aim for (pun intended) about 775 - 785 with 8.4gn pellets as this tends to give the best accuracy and grouping generally.

Ian

It won't make any difference if antitamper is removed or not, overpowered is overpowered. Rog

no avatar
what barn door

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:24 pm

My point was that when no work at all has been carried out by the owner or anyone but the manufacturer, it could be argued that the gun is "AS SUPPLIED" by the manufacturer and there has been no intent to break the law.

On the other hand if a gun is found to be over powered and there is sufficient evidence to show that the gun has been modified by someone other than the manufacturer then no deffensible argument can be put forward.

The whole situation is made worse by the fact that as the owner of the gun, it is the owners responsibilty to ensure that the gun remains legal, which of course the manufaturer has made harder by by use of the AT.

no avatar
Roger5

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:33 pm

what barn door wrote:My point was that when no work at all has been carried out by the owner or anyone but the manufacturer, it could be argued that the gun is "AS SUPPLIED" by the manufacturer and there has been no intent to break the law.

On the other hand if a gun is found to be over powered and there is sufficient evidence to show that the gun has been modified by someone other than the manufacturer then no deffensible argument can be put forward.

The whole situation is made worse by the fact that as the owner of the gun, it is the owners responsibilty to ensure that the gun remains legal, which of course the manufaturer has made harder by by use of the AT.

None of this matters one jot, it is down to you to make sure that your rifle stays the right side of the law, it makes no difference if the antitamper is in or out, and the only way of making sure, is to remove it, there is no argument, it's either legal or not, you should chrono it before you even leave the shop. Rog

no avatar
what barn door

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:12 pm

With all due respect Roger,

I would guess that half the people buying their first airgun would'nt know the legal implications, they certainly wouldn't have a chrongraph at home, I doubt very much that they would ask the shop to chrono it and even if they did, I would again guess that many of the shops would say that it was tested before it left the factory and therefore does not require furthre testing.

Thankfully the law is not always seen in black and white and the police are generally smart enough to know that most people using airguns do so for leisure and not to become criminals, hence they don't the information generated at point of sale to follow up on those that have made a purchase.

Just my opinion of course,

Regards,

Ian

no avatar
Roger5

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:16 pm

There are none so blind as those that will not see. Ignorance in the eyes of the law is no excuse, and any worthwhile shooting shop would have access to a chrono, quite often these same shops will not only be selling brand new rifles but also second hand ones, so it would pay them to have one, if any airrifle that you buy is over 12ftlb it becomes a section one firearm, and unless you are in possession of a firearms certificate for that same rifle, you could either, lose the rifle, get a heavy fine or get imprisonment or maybe all three, if you think it's worth taking that chance, then all I can say is good luck. The internet is a good place to find out what can happen to a person who has in his/her possession a rifle that he doesn't have an FAC for. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:10 pm

Ok so ask for a certificate from the shop which together with intact AT should be enough for any unlikely police check surely? It can be chrono'd regularly with AT intact.
There's probably a market on ebay for aftermarket AT plugs though. Without one the rifle is "capable of exceeding 12 ftlb"