Newbie question: Anti tamper

no avatar
Rolls1392

Newbie question: Anti tamper

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi guys
I have an s400 classic which is fitted with anti tamper.
Is that to limit its power? If not why?
Is there any advantage to removing it?
Rifle currently shoots really well and hits even what I aim at
Cheers
Roland

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Re: Newbie question: Anti tamper

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:12 pm

The two anti tamper plates underneath stop you taking it apart so once warranty is out you might want to take them out to get at cleaning the hammer rail etc.
The one on the side covers the power adjuster air screw so legally they have to fit them.

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:07 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:The two anti tamper plates underneath stop you taking it apart so once warranty is out you might want to take them out to get at cleaning the hammer rail etc.
The one on the side covers the power adjuster air screw so legally they have to fit them.

There is no legal requirement for anti tamper measures, as soon as you buy a rifle, and walk out of the shop, your responsible for its power output, so if you want to take the anti tamper out, go ahead, that includes the power adjuster cover aswell. Rog

no avatar
Mark112

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi,

It is not a legal requirement but a voluntary one that the industry introduced to have anti tamper measures in place. It's there to stop people from upping the power of their kit. Downside is that it prevents the owner (the person responsible for ensuring compliance with the law) from maintaining the gun and performing simple maintenance tasks and also keeping it legal. It's a right royal PITA. Lost of people, myself included have had A/T measures removed. I can now make sure that all my kit is legal. With A/T in place I would not have been able to fit regulators, improve the shot to shot consistency or do simple tasks such as fix leaks etc.

Mark
S410C .177 Regged - MTC Viper 4-16 x 50
S410K .177 Regged - Hawke Nite-Eye 4-16 x 50 AO IR
S410K .22 - Hawke Sport HD 3-9 x 50 AO IR
Logun Mk1 .22 - AGS 3-9 x 40
Theoben Taunus .22 - Simmons 4-12 x 40 AO
BW1911R2
Walther CP99
Webley Premier .22

no avatar
granville

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Rolls1392 wrote:Hi guys
Cheers
Roland
if its not broken don't fix it .

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:43 pm

granville wrote:
Cheers
Roland

Not strictly true, you need to. Get,buy or borrow a chronograph. Ignorance of your power output would be no defence if the police decided to check it, so once anti tamper is out you can set your rifle up to stay within the law. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:22 pm

If I bought a rifle that was sold as legal with an anti tamper plug still intact I would not expect to be held responsible for its power. But then uk gun law is strange.
Having said that my 6ft lb model has anti tamper and no way could you wind it up to be illegal.
So maybe its just warranty.

What did the older models have over the power adjuster?

no avatar
Rolls1392

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Roger5 wrote:
granville wrote:
Cheers
Roland

Not strictly true, you need to. Get,buy or borrow a chronograph. Ignorance of your power output would be no defence if the police decided to check it, so once anti tamper is out you can set your rifle up to stay within the law. Rog

Will check my s400 with a chronic at the weekend
Thanks

no avatar
Roger5

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:54 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:If I bought a rifle that was sold as legal with an anti tamper plug still intact I would not expect to be held responsible for its power. But then uk gun law is strange.
Having said that my 6ft lb model has anti tamper and no way could you wind it up to be illegal.
So maybe its just warranty.

What did the older models have over the power adjuster?

Not long sold my 16 year old s400 and from what I can remember it just had a Philips type screw, and as I said, as soon as you walk out of the shop it's your responsibility, so be aware and don't stick your head in the sand. Rog

Raj

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Mark112 wrote:Hi,

It is not a legal requirement but a voluntary one that the industry introduced to have anti tamper measures in place. It's there to stop people from upping the power of their kit. Downside is that it prevents the owner (the person responsible for ensuring compliance with the law) from maintaining the gun and performing simple maintenance tasks and also keeping it legal. It's a right royal PITA. Lost of people, myself included have had A/T measures removed. I can now make sure that all my kit is legal. With A/T in place I would not have been able to fit regulators, improve the shot to shot consistency or do simple tasks such as fix leaks etc.

Mark

To this list, you can add "not able to bring the power down to a legal limit if it went over"
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"