Left handed question

no avatar
Rolls1392

Left handed question

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi guys
Bit of advise please.
I have a Rh AA S400 but I am normally a leftie. I have tried Rh but everything feels more normal shooting leftie, aside from the stock poking me in the cheek!
I am thinking of swapping the gun over to lefty
Is this difficult or straightforward?
Thanks R

no avatar
billywhizz

Re: Left handed question

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:56 pm

hi rolls, what you could do is have the stock cut to have a raisable cheek piece turned around, then if you need to sell it you can turn it back again. we have a guy down here in cornwall who could do that for you for not too much money,the cocking lever I'm not too sure about it if you can turn it over or even get a leftie cocking lever. if you think you would like too go this route then give me a shout I will give you his email.paul.

no avatar
Rolls1392

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:26 am

Hi Paul
Thanks. I would like to contact him if you could pass on his email
Thanks
Roland

no avatar
Rolls1392

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks BW.
Info received.

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:04 pm

If you want to swap over the bolt see here

no avatar
Rolls1392

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Just to take the biscuit!!!
Tried rifle today with new 10x40 scope. Couldn't see a sodding thing!!
Gone back to righty!!
All clear now.
What a waste of space.
Cheers R

no avatar
wastrel

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:35 pm

what is relevant here rolls, is your eye, now, you just might be right eye dominant despite being a left hooker, or, you may just have elevated the right eye to BE dominant in shooting `cos that is how you have shot up till now FORCING the right eye to be dominant, now, bear with me here, if you`re taking shooting seriously you need to be comfortable in the shot, so, you either need to stick to the right hand side rifles or, spend more time with a leftie & train your left eye to get with the programme, erm, so to speak. but, & this is important, whichever feels more comfortable is the one you need to concentrate on.
please come back & let us all know how you got on.
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
Rolls1392

Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi Wastrel
When I was shooting on the range today, I tried shooting left. Using my left eye I was unable to focus the scope!!. I am short-sighted but wear specs. I will try again before I decide either way.
What has made me consider shooting left is that when standing or kneeling I have more control over the rifle is: rifle doesn't wobble as much when shooting lh.
Still practice is what it's about!!
Cheers
Roland

no avatar
billywhizz

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Roland, don't give up on this , when were working with our students shooting, and they wear glasses we ask them too shoot without them and set up the scope too suit the naked eye without glasses( they still wear protective eye wear) the scope will sort out your vision on most people. if your shooting left with a right hander 400 then the comb of the cheek rest will push your cheek into the wrong position for sighting the scope!.when we shoot bench rest single shot ,without looking at the pellet tray tin pick up a pellet with your thimb and finger and roll it between your fingers, you will feel the sharp edge of the skirt of the pellet without looking ,rotate it the rear of your fingers and place in the rifle tray,(you don't need your glasses too see this process). give it a try !see how you feel. if I'm passing on something you already know then I'm sorry I don't know your history.if I can help you then I'm willing too .paul.

no avatar
Rolls1392

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi Paul
I have only been shooting for about6 weeks. The S400 is my first rifle and I hope to do some FT next year.
So any tips always welcome .
Thanks Roland