AA s400 Barrel help please

no avatar
Roger5

Re: AA s400 Barrel help please

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Axelrod wrote:Re previous post that no barrel is straight. This is true. That is why a barrel should be rotated until the crown is at the high point. This will remove lateral error and ensure true line of sight. It is "shooting the barrel". If the barrel has the transfer port drilled you are stuck with that. dave.

Cheer's for that Dave, I think we are finally getting somewhere, and that's not My old mate Dave Brace is it? .Rog

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:13 pm

TenMetrePeter wrote:Surely wherever the barrel is pointing, straight or bent, it will still group according to the quality of the crown and pellet, and the group size will not improve with reorientation?

Regarding old and new, underdog asked what happens when a new barrel is fitted and he got a good answer. He introduced the new factor.

This is true, if it was bent like a banana it should still group somewhere, but you need it to group in the right place, if it groups to the left or right or up or down and your scope can't handle it, you will need to rotate the barrel. Rog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Good ho. Agreed.
Underdog wanted to rotate the barrel for "best group" and I say he's going to spend time trying to do the impossible.

Blackbaronfish

Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Its unfortunate that over the years we have tinkered with so many different guns, and that our memory gets distorted :oops: .

AirArms started the 400 series with a two piece brass transfer port that was lock tightened to the barrel.Later they made it a one piece. With the two pice you needed to take the barrel out and seperate the brass pieces to replace the probe o ring. The one piece made it better as you didnt need to strip anything,
Things to note:-
The barrel needs to be airtight once air is charged.
The two piece or one piece transfer port needs to be lock tightened and sealed (and a new oring sandwiched in between the brass pieces if a two piece) A gap will distort the pellets skirt when passed over it.
The transfer port needs to be aligned fully.
If the old barrel has been taken out as the original op has had, then tell tale signs could help its location. this could be witness marks left by silencers or even using a magnifier to find fresh bluing that has been protected by the air cylinder.

I have also never had to rotate and fire a new barrel to find the perfect poi :mrgreen: Hence my open question. I have rolled one on a flat surface to see if its straight :mrgreen: .

Please understand that members on here are giving advice free and as they have experienced it. All answers have been given in good faith and have been given to help not hinder.
Well done Eboswan for some excellent moderating.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
underdog

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Axelrod wrote:Re previous post that no barrel is straight. This is true. That is why a barrel should be rotated until the crown is at the high point. This will remove lateral error and ensure true line of sight. It is "shooting the barrel". If the barrel has the transfer port drilled you are stuck with that. dave.

Hi would you please explain Crown is at the "high point" in layman's terms thanks.from underdog

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:01 pm

If its bent, have it pointing upwards.

Blackbaronfish

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Brooksy

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:11 pm

If you have, or you know somebody with a granite work top, roll the barrel over it and see if it's bent, then simply mark it at its highest point. Fit it with the mark facing up. All barrels actually shoot upwards anyway to compensate for gravity.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
underdog

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:Its unfortunate that over the years we have tinkered with so many different guns, and that our memory gets distorted :oops: .

AirArms started the 400 series with a two piece brass transfer port that was lock tightened to the barrel.Later they made it a one piece. With the two pice you needed to take the barrel out and seperate the brass pieces to replace the probe o ring. The one piece made it better as you didnt need to strip anything,
Things to note:-
The barrel needs to be airtight once air is charged.
The two piece or one piece transfer port needs to be lock tightened and sealed (and a new oring sandwiched in between the brass pieces if a two piece) A gap will distort the pellets skirt when passed over it.
The transfer port needs to be aligned fully.
If the old barrel has been taken out as the original op has had, then tell tale signs could help its location. this could be witness marks left by silencers or even using a magnifier to find fresh bluing that has been protected by the air cylinder.

I have also never had to rotate and fire a new barrel to find the perfect poi :mrgreen: Hence my open question. I have rolled one on a flat surface to see if its straight :mrgreen: .

Please understand that members on here are giving advice free and as they have experienced it. All answers have been given in good faith and have been given to help not hinder.
Well done Eboswan for some excellent moderating.

BBF

Hi and yes a bit silly of me to get worked up over a peace of junk :lol:
I have apologiesed for my behaviour
I did not know you had to glue the brass collar back in,so thanks for that advice. :idea:
Now all I need to do is find out where the crown high point is then glue the other end breach end to the brass collar then job done thank god I haven't got to turn the barrel round and round firing untill I get a good group chuffed about that All the best my friend from underdog ;)

Blackbaronfish

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Dont forget to put a new oring in whilst its apart. I really wouldnt worry about a high spot on the crown as there are more things that can alter the poi than this,

Get it back together and you will soon see 8-)

BBF