Top Sear problems

no avatar
Roger5

Top Sear problems

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:26 am

Does anyone know if problems over Top sears has been resolved ? There has been quite a lot of discussion on other forums about this and as it is quite an important issue i would be keen to find out, it appears to be getting brushed under the carpet, not good enough! Rog

Blackbaronfish

Re: Top Sear problems

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:40 am

If you have a problem,contact AirArms with your serial number and they will advise. I don't see that's any different to any responsible manufacturer. It was a small batch that got through and will be sorted indervidually.

Just one of those things that happen.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
milek

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:If you have a problem,contact AirArms with your serial number and they will advise. I don't see that's any different to any responsible manufacturer. It was a small batch that got through and will be sorted indervidually.

Just one of those things that happen.

BBF

Really, are you sure they are admitting this?

gdavison

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:29 pm

I believe yes AA are "admitting" to it .. When I posted this thread http://www.airarmsownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3148 I also called AA and within minutes of my description, they offered to send a new top sear, no quibble, no ohh you must have done something etc

Perhaps the only more proactive thing they could do is publish a list of affected serial numbers on their web site / offer a recall like weihrauch are doing with the HW110 .. however speaking to folk at our club who have a 110, the solution seems to be recall all the early 110's and ship them back to Germany in one job lot, they have been told the importer has close to 1000 rifles waiting to go back and owners are been told the fix will take "upto" 3 months
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

gdavison

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:39 pm

Roger5 wrote:Does anyone know if problems over Top sears has been resolved ? There has been quite a lot of discussion on other forums about this and as it is quite an important issue i would be keen to find out, it appears to be getting brushed under the carpet, not good enough! Rog

I had one go on a 2 week old S510, with less than 2 tins thru it. Since AA provided a new top sear FoC that S510 has had 6 tins through it and its sweet as a peach. So I'd say yes that new Top Sear they provided resolved the issue
AA FTP900, AA HFT500, AA S510, FWB-800FT

no avatar
milek

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Then that's tremendous service and contrary to some of the "hearsay" that reports total denial from AA.

Blackbaronfish

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:56 pm

milek wrote:
Blackbaronfish wrote:If you have a problem,contact AirArms with your serial number and they will advise. I don't see that's any different to any responsible manufacturer. It was a small batch that got through and will be sorted indervidually.

Just one of those things that happen. :?

BBF

BBF

Really, are you sure they are admitting this?

Have you had a faulty one
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
BEAR54

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:16 pm

I had the top sear break on my S510 ultimate I messaged Air Arms they asked for a pic of the serial number then sent me a new one FOC

no avatar
sherlock1963

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:53 pm

A while ago I started a thread, on another forum, regarding my friend's TX200 top sear. The contact point where it latches to the piston rod has been damaged/worn. Air Arms were contacted asking for advice and a receipt e-mail was just 'spares can be found at the following suppliers' No request for pictures, no advice given regarding possible safety issues.

The top sear of a TX/PS cannot be purchased individually, neither can the bottom sear. A whole unit is the only way to replace these, which costs £95. When asked why? Air Arms stated it was for 'safety reasons' AA claim that the trigger units are assembled in a 'special jig'

Bizarrely you can buy the middle sear for £12,50 springs and pins etc but not the top or bottom sear.

AA re-directed my friend, after several e-mails and phone calls, to one of their approved service centres (May of London) They have been very helpful and indicated that AA may be willing to look at the offending part to decide if it is safe to use.

That was 3 weeks ago and nothing has happened.

It is not an old rifle (s/n 115827 whenever that is) If AA had offered a reasonable price fix, given that the middle sear is £12.50, it would have been fine £95 (£80 of which is unnecessary parts) seems excessive.
Bullpup TX MK2- TX200SR- NJR100--TX MK1 TX MK3- Pro-Elite - RN10

no avatar
TenMetrePeter

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:35 am

The difference is
1. There is obviously a production problem with their S400 etc top sear and they acknowledge it.
2. The TX sear is holding back the mainspring whereas the S400 etc is only holding back the hammer spring so maybe safety is a concern.

I was advised by AA against changing my MPR cylinder gauge because of the deadly danger of dismantling pressure vessels until I pointed out their DIY video of how to do it! They are just being careful I guess. and they are a manufacturer not a retailer.