Pellet weights

no avatar
Outandabout

Pellet weights

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi all
I Shoot exclusively .22 field diablo 5.52,16 grains and find they do everything i require of them. Having read a couple of threads about people using different pellets i was wondering what is the lightest and heaviest pellet you would use in your gun and why.
Might be a daft question but why have so many pellet weights
Is there any advantage of changing pellet weight if using them on live quarry. ie lighter rather than heavier pellets or vice versa.
Kevin

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Pellet weights

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:17 pm

depends on the rifle. as a general rule PCP rifles are more efficient with heavy pellets, Spring powered rifles vice versa a lighter pellet. of course it is not just weight, the composition of the pellet, pure lead, lead alloys and of course size (head). as for benefits, a lighter pellet will in general have a flatter tradjectory than a heavy pellet making it easier to hit a specific point if ranging is a little off. A heavy pellet will retain its energy over a longer range and in most cases be less affected by lateral forces such as wind. The power output of the rifle will affect your chosen pellet sub 12/FAC. All very ambiguous and the only case you need is what your barrel prefers, your preference, the sport you participate in etc. The most important factor though is accuracy, you may have a pellet which technically is of greater efficiency than another, but if you can't hit a barn door with it, it is of little importance.
My preference PCP EV2 JSB Heavy 10.28g barrel loves them, good in the wind. Springer Pro sport JSB Express 7.9g barrel loves them. My sport FT.
Gary.