Help - Advice on scope selection for a Pro Sport

no avatar
snake

Help - Advice on scope selection for a Pro Sport

Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi,

I am about to buy an Air Arms Pro Sport. I am considering the Hawke AirMax 30 Tactical 4-16x or the Hawke Frontier 30 2.5-15x with a TMX reticle. I think the Airmax 30 is a bit bulky and the Frontier is shorter and more sleek and elegant, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages that I should be aware of before deciding? Would the TMX reticle work for the short shooting ranges of an Air Gun?

I would appreciate your thoughts here as I am new to this sport.

no avatar
gary martin

Re: Help - Advice on scope selection for a Pro Sport

Tue May 31, 2016 8:54 pm

scope chosen depends on your intended sport. hunting,plinking, hft, ft.

no avatar
snake

Tue May 31, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks for your reply!

70% plinking. 20% target shooting. 10% hunting. Exclusively outdoors. It is to play and have fun with, not to compete.

Sake-san

Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:39 pm

Scopes are a very personal thing (as our eyes are not the same!) what suits one person may well not suit another, as I have learned to my cost. So do try and look through your choice prior to purchasing it.
In reality the relative cost of quality optics (for any application) has never been lower, Hawke have a good reputation but, then so do many others. Ask yourself carefully why you want variable magnification (especially given your intended uses), it adds weight (never good for a scope on a springer) and price vs quality of components. If your intended target shooting is at HFT distances I would personally go for a fixed 10x model.
One knows not your budget but, if you can, have a look through something from Bushnell... rarely are they critiqued and come with a best in class warranty (because it is rarely ever needed!).
Take your time to choose and avoid the usual "fan boy" recommendations on forums!.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
snake

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks for your reply! I will look into Bushnell and what they offer. I do not want a top heavy rifle, so you have valid points.