Need some help (New guy here)

no avatar
Ruthless4645

Need some help (New guy here)

Mon May 23, 2016 6:06 pm

First off hello, I'm new to air guns and need help!

Just bought a brand new AA S510, this gun was only fired once (dry, if it makes a difference) bought a Hawke Sidewinder 30 scope for it and mounted it today then took her out for a shoot.

Problem is the gun cocks (yes, I checked that I made a full range of motion with cocking lever) but it wont fire. This is a brand new gun, it came to me pre-charged with 180 bars of air pressure, I test fired it dry once (AND IT DID FIRE THEN) just to make sure all was well but now it refuses to fire, trigger seems to have a full range of first stage motion but NO SECOND stage and yes I've checked to make sure the safety was off LOL.

Other than mounting the scope this gun has not been MODIFIED OR ADJUSTED IN ANY WAY. Any help?

Thank You..

no avatar
Roger5

Re: Need some help (New guy here)

Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 pm

If it's brand new, take it back to where you bought it, don't mess with it, you will invalidate your warranty. Rog

Raj

Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Your location? If you are close to one of us, a second look by another person might help. What Roger says is correct and it is best to avoid invalidating the warranty but as long as no one goes opening anything but takes a good look (knowing what to look for), it could save you hassle.
“It's the Indian, not the arrow"

Blackbaronfish

Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 am

Pcp rifles are ok to dry fire 8-) unlike the springers where the piston slams to a abrupt holt :shock: .
As said you would be better off taking it back. If that's not possible I suggest you fill out your location, and see if there's a member near by that could advise and help.

They are simple machines so don't fret. you will soon be back on song :mrgreen:

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
Brooksy

Tue May 24, 2016 6:38 am

This may sound daft but did you pull the cocking level back enough? Hold it both sides and make sure the trigger latches with a click.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
Lilman2106

Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Something you may have over looked is the safety, make sure it is in the off position as you may have out it on and not realised it.

ATB Paul.

no avatar
Ruthless4645

Tue May 24, 2016 4:54 pm

Thanks to each one of you for your replies, however I've discovered the problem with the help of my local Air Arms dealer. It was a broken "top sear". The dealer sent me a free replacement part (two actually) and it was a very easy DIY job.

And he assured me over and over they wouldn't void my warranty for doing a home repair on this part LOL, they actually talked me through the replacement of it and it was very easy...

Just a heads up...The Air Arms dealer told me that the number one cause of a broken top sear is letting the side cocking lever snap forward out of your hand after cocking the gun (on purpose, or maybe it just slips out of your hand accidentally). It should always be controlled both in it's backward motion and in it's forward motion, he said they see it all the time there.

However having said that, I cannot for the life of me remember ever allowing it to snap forward (it was only cocked 2-3 times tops)

Also, for such an expensive gun I was VERY surprised to discover that this part is basically made of a cheap cast metal, not a hardened piece of steel. If you look at the two broken ends of the sear it looks like what we use to call "white metal" which is probably the wrong terminology, but it looks very delicate and that it would be prone to snapping, I wish I could post up a picture of it for you..

Thanks again.

no avatar
Brooksy

Tue May 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Bleeding hell mate, that's a new one on me. Glad you got it sorted. However, I wonder if the dealer had demoed the gun to a few people and that's how he knew?
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second one mouse that gets the cheese.

Theoben Rapid Mk2 .20, Light Stream 4.5X14X44 FFP.
AA S410 TDR .177, Yukon Photon XT with 135 mm lens conversion.

no avatar
Ruthless4645

Tue May 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Just a quick follow up....

I replaced that top sear in less than 5 mins...VERY easy and simple to do. Rifle is running like a CHARM again.