S400 fitting Rowan mag probs

no avatar
oyster

S400 fitting Rowan mag probs

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 pm

A fellow shooter, new to pcp, bought a new S400 and a Rowan magazine - the correct one of the two available - and tried it get going at the range this morning. The Rowan mag frame, all in good order, would not fit snug against the front breech face. On inspection, there is a small thin blade of metal right in the corner of the breech block preventing the magazine case from sitting snugly into that corner.
He was all for filing it off; I suggested a modification would be better made to the magazine, to relieve the lower corner, rather than to damage the gun's action.
The problem spur looks like an indexing probe at rest; however the S400 has no indexer. Anyone have any ideas what this may be?
S400 MPR
S200T
DS Regal
HW77
HW77K
HW97K
BSA Goldstar SE
HW100

Blackbaronfish

Re: S400 fitting Rowan mag probs

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:36 pm

A picture would help really. Failing that you can contact The boys at Rowan that would only be pleased to put things right. They have fantastic after sales.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

no avatar
mark holding

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:17 pm

It's a shame that Air Arms couldn't make an aftermarket magazine for the S400, like they did for the S200. That would solve a lot of problems. Probably best to talk to Air Arms and Rowan Engineering. One to find out if the breach is correct, and two to see if something needs altering on the magazine by Rowan Engineering. As Rowan are an engineering company, if Air Arms have altered their breech on the newer products off the line, then Rowan will want to adjust their magazine model's to suit. If you live close enough to Rowan Engineering its probably a good idea to go and take the rifle to them, so that they can alter the magazine, as altering the rifle breach will invalidate the warranty, whereas a removable magazine and adapter wont.

no avatar
oyster

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have no camera phone, so could not get a photo. The Rowan mag is as it should be and I agree, Rowan customer service is really great. The issue is that odd, tiny edge of metal lurking right down in the front of the action. It does not appear in the parts list for S400; that suggests the breech block is solid. The salesman in the shop could not assist, an option would be to contact AA. I will forward these ideas to the gun owner.
S400 MPR
S200T
DS Regal
HW77
HW77K
HW97K
BSA Goldstar SE
HW100

no avatar
Roger5

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Just wondering, it's not a pellet tray is it, Rowan normally supply one with .177 mag kit, I had one that moved once until I stuck it down with some glue, just a thought. Roger5

no avatar
Stoohundred

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:19 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Not sure if it's exactly the same as what your describing, but my MPR has a similar issue, it's a slight imperfection in the moulding/machining of the breech block/barrel housing it's only tiny but is enough to prevent a mag from fitting.

I will try and upload a pic of mine and see if it's the same.
AA MPR FT .177 8-40x60 Tasco Custom Shop (FT Setup)
S200 MK2 .177 Robert Lane Reg Hawke Airmax 3-12x50 SF FOR SALE

no avatar
Roger5

Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:48 pm

To be honest now that I've seen the picture, I would just take a file to it. Roger5

no avatar
oyster

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Stoohundred wrote:
image.jpeg
Not sure if it's exactly the same as what your describing, but my MPR has a similar issue, it's a slight imperfection in the moulding/machining of the breech block/barrel housing it's only tiny but is enough to prevent a mag from fitting.

I will try and upload a pic of mine and see if it's the same.

It looks like the same issue. Below the semi-circle of the pellet port, in the right corner, a spur of metal that appears to be separate to the solid block of the action.
S400 MPR
S200T
DS Regal
HW77
HW77K
HW97K
BSA Goldstar SE
HW100

no avatar
oyster

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Met up with the owner of the S400 today. He considered altering the Rowan mag frame; cheaper that the gun if it goes wrong; but opted to attack the breech block directly.
He is no engineer, but pragmatic. He found a 'suitable, large, sharp knife' and cut the offending bit of metal out of the corner of the block. Now a clean, clear block, the Rowan mag seats neatly just as it should.
It seems the AA quality control is not ass good as it could be, this small bit of swarf is not being properly machined out and the inspectors are not spotting it after production.
S400 MPR
S200T
DS Regal
HW77
HW77K
HW97K
BSA Goldstar SE
HW100