Focus with gun lamp.

no avatar
andrewpjudge

Focus with gun lamp.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi, I have had a bit of bother with rats in my garden, perhaps it's my veg or the allotments or maybe it's nextdoor but one with her 50 Guinea pigs! Anyway I have been using poison and traps to start but now it's time for the big boy to come out! I have picked a few off with clean headshots but now I haven't seen any during the day and I know they are still around but I am certain that they are coming out at night. So... I got myself a gun lamp to catch them but I am have a bit of trouble getting my cross-hairs to focus in the dark, my parallax is fine in the day but with a lamp on I can't seem to get a good sharp focus. I am going to try moving the lamp forward first and see how things go. Any advice I am always thankful for.

Blackbaronfish

Re: Focus with gun lamp.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:13 pm

You could have a light over a baited area. When the light starts to fail you could switch the light on and pick them off at normal daytime settings.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

darran77

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Blackbaronfish wrote:You could have a light over a baited area. When the light starts to fail you could switch the light on and pick them off at normal daytime settings.

BBF

Using a light over your baited area during darkness will give you easy pickings, try and make it either a red one or one of those soft tone lights
as the rats over time will get used to it.
daz
IFAC member

no avatar
poguemahone

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:57 am

darran77 wrote:
Blackbaronfish wrote:You could have a light over a baited area. When the light starts to fail you could switch the light on and pick them off at normal daytime settings.

BBF

Using a light over your baited area during darkness will give you easy pickings, try and make it either a red one or one of those soft tone lights
as the rats over time will get used to it.
daz

and use a piece of white board as a backstop, shows em up nicely ;) ;)
try using a torch to the side of your gun to light up a target, and check to see if your x hairs are in focus. could be a bit of glare from your gun lamp, as you say though, try it in different positions, never come across it meself.