How and when do you clean the barrell

no avatar
kiwi Rabbiter

How and when do you clean the barrell

Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:23 am

Hi Member's, I was just wondering when should we clean our Air Arms rifle barrels? I couldn't find anything here on the subject unless I'm blind, :roll: as I have now gone through two and a half tins, and I haven't noticed really in accuracy drop off as yet. I would like to know if possible, is when and how and what lubricant is used if any.
There is so many if's and but's on the subject, but who is right? or wrong? on Google Search. This is my first time that I have owned a air rifle of any sort. It is a Air Arms S 510 XTRA FAC .22, I use it for my job shooting Rabbits on the local golf courses here. Thanks for helping me out if you can. Cheer's

Blackbaronfish

Re: How and when do you clean the barrell

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:18 am

Most only clean their barrels when accuracy drops off, and then its only a quick pull through.

BBF
Did I mention that I'm the only one to have attended EVERY meet since we started

Sake-san

Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:21 am

Very easy and effective to make your own pull-through using thick monofilament fishing line (safe for the barrel as no metal parts) with a simple loop knotted into each end. Get some thin lint free cotton cloths and cut into small pieces (e.g. 3x1cm) to use as patches.
Simple, cheap and effective...
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun

no avatar
billywhizz

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:33 pm

I use roll up cigarette filter tips,small drop of cleaner on the filter roll it in your fingers till it fits the barrel ,load it and fire it thro till its clean ,then do the same with just a clean filter till it comes out clean,normaly do it every 3 months or so, you can buy a box of 50/100 for as little as 50/60 p.hope this helps you .

no avatar
gary martin

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:29 pm

my PCP, approx every 200 shots.

no avatar
kiwi Rabbiter

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:13 pm

THANKS for the tips so far. but for the actual cleaning agent what do we use, turpentine (oil paint thinners ) or is there another type to use, I don't want to bugger up the rubber seals. Or do I just use dry patches till they come out clean. Thanks again.

no avatar
wastrel

Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:03 pm

right, well, may as well chuck a grenade into this discussion, ahem!
there are some members (like me) who never clean a barrel-ever, there are some however, who clean their barrels regularly, be it one tin or two tins of pellets, or three months, whatever, although, I note our moderator himself (yes you BBF) said `MOST` -not- me or we, so, it seems you`ll have to find your own guns sweet spot `tween ammo, power, weather & hold (it can be a complicated old game this y`know!) then see if your accuracy drops off at some point & decide if its your (dirty?) barrel, hold, pellet batch, grey socks (that day) blue moon on a monday ;) or whatever, good luck :lol:
AA S200
Walther LGU
Westlake fit for the bin
Webley Raider 10
Walther underlever
1st Grand Order member

no avatar
The Mil-Dot Marksman

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:56 am

I use a Napier airgun pull though kit, comes with everything you need to clean the barrel including vp90 cleaning fluid that you spray into the barrel which won't do any damage to o-rings in the barrel and helps lubricate and protect the barrel,can be bought for less than £30. I only clean my barrel if I notice a drop in accuracy.

no avatar
mark holding

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Has anyone used those cleaning pellets that you can fire though the barrel. I haven't, but wondered if anyone has tried them, and if so is one shot good enough?

Sake-san

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 am

They work ok (springer users should remember to put a pellet in behind the felt), into a backstop you can see how dirty the felt comes out, usually two or three suffice for me. But, must confess I only bother once or twice a year and only when accuracy is off.
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10-50x60
TX200/Gary Cane/Sightron SIII 10x42
TX200 test / analysis gun